Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
It's still another good reason to keep anything from Real Networks off of your Mac. :rolleyes:

macridah

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2004
Nor-Cal
I try to avoid real player whenever I can. On my mac, I didn't install it, but on my sorry windows, I did.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
What I for one hold against Real is what it did to my OS 8 and OS 9 systems. Taking over filetypes that ALREADY were usable--like wavs and even text files!--and then trying to open them, making them LESS usable than before. In fact, it took over filetypes it could NOT open, making those files temporarily useless. And trying to reverse the whole mess was a huge labor.

Now, OS X apparently does not allow Real to perform such nonsense. But I just saw what Real did to a friend's OS 9 machine last week, and am reminded yet again of how I was burned.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Nermal said:
Another reason? What are the other reasons?
It's all sour grapes over obsolete releases. Don't worry about it if you're using the current stuff.

g4cubed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2004
iMeowbot said:
It's all sour grapes over obsolete releases. Don't worry about it if you're using the current stuff.
Well I wouldn't call it sour grapes. As nagromme and his friend had big problems in OS 8 & 9. I did also, before getting my Cube, in which I ended up reinstalling to rid the problem. A lot of people still use OS9 because they have older machunes. They can't upgrade further and so sometimes have to use obslete apps.

off topic: I like the new tar. Halloween is the best. :D

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
macridah said:
I try to avoid real player whenever I can. On my mac, I didn't install it, but on my sorry windows, I did.
Try Real Alternative and Media Player Classic. Do a Goolge search. They're pretty good, for Windows software. Though it crashes more on bad files than WMP does, and isn't great with streaming.

iMeowbot said:
It's all sour grapes over obsolete releases.
More that it sucks on every OS I've ever used. Windows 9x and NT variants, OS 8, 9, even X. Less so now, and but still a PITA. Even Windows and Linux zealots were siding with Apple on the Helix thing. Spyware at it's finest. :rolleyes:

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
iMeowbot said:

Ah OK, I didn't switch to Mac until OS X so I have no idea what it used to be like. I do know that the Windows player wasn't too good though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.