Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bluechipBMW

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2008
The rear camera stopped working right after I dropped it (landed screen down). I thought I was lucky that the screen didn't crack but shortly after noticed my rear camera stopped working. When I launch the camera I see a black screen so I tried to reverse to see the front camera but I have to close the camera app for the front camera to work.

Just for the hell of it I tried all the tricks/tips I found online but they seem to be fixes for software related issues but I feel mine is more due to hardware failure.

Any suggestions on what I can do to get it fixed since I am out of warranty?

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Bring it to a good repair shop. Impacts can tear the soldered connections on the logic board.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The rear camera stopped working right after I dropped it (landed screen down). I thought I was lucky that the screen didn't crack but shortly after noticed my rear camera stopped working. When I launch the camera I see a black screen so I tried to reverse to see the front camera but I have to close the camera app for the front camera to work.

Just for the hell of it I tried all the tricks/tips I found online but they seem to be fixes for software related issues but I feel mine is more due to hardware failure.

Any suggestions on what I can do to get it fixed since I am out of warranty?

There’s nothing you can do, I highly doubt the camera will be able to be repaired. My best advice, stay away from third-party repair by all means (Even if they make claims they can repair it, they’re either lying or they don’t have the training necessary for an extensive Repair to that degree, which will only prone your iPhone to other issues). I would use Apple if you decide to go that route. But my educated guess, Apple will tell you they won’t be able to repair the camera and that your phone will likely need a replacement OOW.

bluechipBMW

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2008
Thanks for the replies. I did find a local spot and took the chance. So far all is working as expected so fingers crossed that it continues to work.

Reactions: Lekro and JPack
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.