Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
thumper said:
"real music" go buy any new CD out right now.
anyone making money from thire music would NOT use reason... trust me.

i didnt come on here to show off my work or to tell people what projects ive been apart of cuz thats just stupid for any real engineer/prod to do such a thing. i dont care what you think about me professionally.

i only replyed to this topic cuz i spent a lot of cash on reason when i first
got started, and now i realize that it was a waste of money and i want to give some helpful advice.

Wow, what crap.

Reason is all over many commercial releases. By big name artists. It's also used extensively in film and TV scoring.

It is not a toy. Yes, it has a bit of a characteristic sound, but a decent sound designer should be able to customize the sounds enough. I have heard Dr. Rex loops used in TV commercials and other ad spots, basically taken straight from the Factory Sound Bank. So yes, it can be used badly, but it can also be a great creative tool.

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
FFTT said:
I tried listening to the Reason instruments and a few of them sounded pretty good, but the string sounds were absolute *****.

Overall it looks like a great application for pre-fab compositions, but
it doesn't seem to offer anything remarkable for the real musician other than a few nifty bells and whistles.

The Propellerheads String Refill is MUCH better than the Orkester refill that comes with the program.

Plus, in R3.0, even the preset strings are better because of the combinator patches. They really bring out the life in them.

There are good samples for Reason, and bad ones too. The Reason Drum Refill (v2) is GREAT. Some of the stock synth presets and drum loops are NOT. But as was mentioned earlier, a good artist can make art from anything. A kitchen sink can be used to make great beats by a talented percussionist.

e-clipse

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2006
Nashville,TN
Edge100 said:
Wow, what crap.

Reason is all over many commercial releases. By big name artists. It's also used extensively in film and TV scoring.

It is not a toy. Yes, it has a bit of a characteristic sound, but a decent sound designer should be able to customize the sounds enough. I have heard Dr. Rex loops used in TV commercials and other ad spots, basically taken straight from the Factory Sound Bank. So yes, it can be used badly, but it can also be a great creative tool.

Yeah....I hear Reason loops and samples all the time in commercials.Unfortunately....the sounds are way too recognizable and take away from the value of the music in my opinion. Reason with custom synth sounds and 3rd party loops is wonderful.

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
e-clipse said:
Yeah....I hear Reason loops and samples all the time in commercials.Unfortunately....the sounds are way too recognizable and take away from the value of the music in my opinion. Reason with custom synth sounds and 3rd party loops is wonderful.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

TBS uses a stock Reason loop in their promo spots. And there is a stock Rhodes loop in a current ad for some variety of chocolates (forget which ones). Others have sprung up at some point or another, and I've gotten to the point that my wife is really annoyed when we're watching TV and I yell out "That's a Reason loop!". She thinks I'm bonkers.

The same is true of other loop libraries. 'Survivor' wouldn't have a soundtrack if it weren't for Ilio's Liquid Grooves! There's a Canadian TV show that takes its entire intro music from a vocal library (forget which one...I think its a ZeroG product...Vocal Forge maybe).

So this is not an issue that is restricted to Reason. TV and film sound guys need results quickly, and they rely on these products. Hopefully they modify them a little, or use them as a basis for more original stuff, but sometimes they get used pretty much as is.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
thumper said:
Everytime i hear a reason song it hurts my ears.
i swear sometimes it like people are just pressing
the 'random button' and calling it a song.

That's pretty much exactly what I'm doing in a project at the moment.
I'm into experimental music so I love the simplicity of Reason.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.