Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
the link above said:
Reason 3.0.5 is only available in Intel format, which means that this version does not run on PowerPC (PPC) based Mac computers. This is contrary to Apple's recommendation to developers, which is to ship a combined PPC and Intel based Mac application in a package called a Universal Binary. Based on our commitment to always provide the highest possible performance on all computer platforms that we support, Propellerhead Software made the decision to deviate from Apple's recommendation. Here are the details:

A Universal Binary actually contains two compiled applications, one for PPC and one for Intel. To create a Universal Binary, Propellerhead would need to use Apple's XCode compiler for both the PPC and Intel versions of the program. By contrast, the shipping version of Reason for PPC computers (version 3.0.4) is compiled with Motorola's CodeWarrior compiler. Unfortunately, our internal performance testing shows that compiling Reason for PPC using Apple's XCode compiler creates a significantly slower program than the shipping 3.0.4 version that we have today. For this reason we have decided to keep the two versions separate for the time being.

While this creates a small inconvenience in that user's have to manually determine which version is the right one to install, this is by far outshined by the advantages of having maximum performance.

We are currently working together with Apple to increase the performance of the PPC version of Reason compiled with XCode.
interesting.

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
zimv20 said:
interesting.

VERY interesting.

At first I thought the Props were discontinuing PPC support, which would be suicide, IMHO.

But it seems they're just going to do a parallel development, which is fine by me since I'm about to pull the trigger on a new Dual Core G5.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Even more interesting will be if they embrace Intel's compiler for the Intel version. Intel's compilers are famous for producing significantly faster binaries than any other complier. (Supposedly, Intel's compiler will be a drop-in replacement for GCC in XCode, so it will use Intel's compiler for Intel chips, and GCC for PPC chips.)

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
Reason may not be the most "Pro" app, but Propellorhead remains one of my favorite software companies.

They're so on top of things...and they have great support and a great site..

And Reason is one of the most simplistically complicated and intuitive softwares out there..

Good for them for getting the Binary out already.

They rock.

1dterbeest

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2006
Waupun, WI
i'm DYING for this universal binary.

I made a combinator patch with 8 malstroms, each with a scream and a reverb on it. It sounds GREAT when I play it, but the PPC version can't handle it at all. The beta demo of the universal version runs it perfectly. i NEED NEED NEED this UB version!

lad1509

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2006
just curious if any of you are beta testing it?
any idea when its coming out? I just bought 3.0 and updated to 3.0.4 would I have to pay to get 3.0.5? that would not be good.

thanks

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
lad1509 said:
just curious if any of you are beta testing it?
any idea when its coming out? I just bought 3.0 and updated to 3.0.4 would I have to pay to get 3.0.5? that would not be good.

thanks

I'm beta testing. It seems to be quite stable, works just fine.

Rewire is missing with Logic 7.2, but works well with Live 5.2.

All in all, everything looks like smooth sailing.

Cybix

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2006
Western Australia
the announcement of not supporting PPC was an April Fools joke.

I'm beta testing the intel 'reason adapted' and it's fine so far. "apparently" there's a bug, and if I find it, I get a full copy of Reason :)

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
From Propellerheads:

"Contrary to previous messages, Reason 3.0.5 will be released as a Universal Binary, that is, an application that runs on both older PPC Macs and the new Intel based Macs. This has been achieved without performance penalties on either hardware platform."

lad1509

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2006
ohh my!
reason 3.0.4 is really bad on my intel imac.. it was ok when it was 7 traks.. around 10 it started to crack.. at 14 it barely plays the song.

I must get my hands on a beta intel version, how hard is it? did I miss the period to join so I can test it?
anyhelp I would really appreciate it.
thanks

1dterbeest

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2006
Waupun, WI
The beta version is a beta of the demo, not the full program.

It works MUCH better. Emulated is horrible.

Any good speculation on when the update will actually be released?

Vaphoron

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2004
Maryland
Now that the 17" MBP is out I'm planning on selling my 17" PowerBook but I can't upgrade until there is a UB of Reason because it sounds like performance is horrible otherwise. Good to hear they worked out the problems and 3.0.5 will be a UB though.

lad1509

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2006
2 things I can't belive.

1- that its taking them this long to release the intel version, its been 5 months and probably another year since apple announced the intel macs... that's a year an a half, I think this is why people call them "none pro"

2- I can't belive people call reason "none pro" :p this software is so amazing its not funny, you can "invent" a new type of music with the tools they give you... I love it.

now, what is the best way to transfer the music from reason to garageband, I don't like making a file and then starting it as a track in GB, I feel like it loses some of its quality.

thanks

lad1509

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2006
Here is some updates, i got this via Email from them this morning, thought some of u would like to know.

Report from the Reason 3.0.5 testing
------------------------------------
We are currently beta testing Reason 3.0.5. It's a minor update mainly
aimed at bringing support for Apple's new Intel processor equipped Macs.
This version also brings significant performance gains when loading
samples during a ReWire session. In some cases it now loads eight times
faster than previous versions.

"The testing is going really well and we expect to have a release
version available for download soon", says Mats Karl?f, Product Manager
for Reason. "The Intel Mac compatible version runs extremely well and
will be a significant performance boost for Intel Mac users."

Reason 3.0.5 will be a free update for all registered Reason 3.0 owners.

Read more here: http://www.propellerheads.se/go/621A6284

Surreal

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 18, 2004
i should check in on threads i start

i didnt realize 3.05 wasnt out completely.

well, in a week that will matter.

lad1509

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2006
1dterbeest said:
The beta version is a beta of the demo, not the full program.

It works MUCH better. Emulated is horrible.

Any good speculation on when the update will actually be released?

can you please tell me what is the limit on demos, they have sent me an email to bete test it, I would like to but I need to open my songs and work on them.. can the demo do that, is there a time limit on the demo or u are basically locked out of most of the features.

thank you

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.