Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

^^BIGMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 10, 2009
If you are running Yosemite and it's solid what would be the real reason to upgrade to El Capitan?

Doesn't seem like much has changed to make it worthwhile. . Amirite?

Mac-lover3

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2014
Belgium
Upgrading the OS is not always about features. This time it's mostly performance and stability and that's a good thing! Also the new Notes app maybe nice for you? But I'm definitely going to upgrade. Yosemite has not been great till 10.10.3 or 10.10.4. Let El Capitan come!

Reactions: ^^BIGMac

^^BIGMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 10, 2009
OK...thanks guys. I had a feeling that would be the concesus.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
If you are running Yosemite and it's solid what would be the real reason to upgrade to El Capitan?

Doesn't seem like much has changed to make it worthwhile. . Amirite?

The question you should be asking is "why shouldn't I upgrade to El Cap?". It's a free update, if you can update, you should. There are valid reasons to always update your OS, such as security updates. The biggest security change in El Cap is System Integrity Protection or SIP, this is a great improvement for majority of the casual users.

Apple has provided a page with most of the changes here: http://www.apple.com/osx/elcapitan-preview/

Just because there are no changes that you like, doesn't mean you shouldn't update.

w0lf

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2013
USA
The only reason you should ever not update is if something is removed that you can not replace with the update.

^^BIGMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 10, 2009
The only reason you should ever not update is if something is removed that you can not replace with the update.
That is kinda my problem with OS updates. A lot of third party software breaks. I hate that. For instance, QuickBooks is always problematic. Always a crap shoot whether the current version you are running will work after an upgrade.

Last edited:

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
My personal favorites are:

1. Performance: OS X is finally usable even with transparency turned on. And many other tasks just feel noticeably faster.
2. Call out your cursor: shake the mouse/trackpad few times and the cursor will become larger for few seconds.
3. Notes app is significantly revamped.
4. Find My Friends Notification Center widget.
5. Wi-Fi calling for supported carriers (e.g., Sprint, T-Mobile).
6. Cleaner Mission Control.
7. Split-view full screen.
8. Smarter Spotlight search.

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
I have a Mac Mini with 16 gig of ram but I'm still on Mavericks and never upgraded to Yosemite and now here comes El Capitan. I have really enjoyed Mavericks and am afraid to mess up my system with Yosemite and now El Capitan.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
I have a Mac Mini with 16 gig of ram but I'm still on Mavericks and never upgraded to Yosemite and now here comes El Capitan. I have really enjoyed Mavericks and am afraid to mess up my system with Yosemite and now El Capitan.

You can certainly try out 10.11 when it is released on a separate partition on your internal hard drive. It will require an little extra work to setup 10.11. This way your primary partition is left intact and not disturbed.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
You can certainly try out 10.11 when it is released on a separate partition on your internal hard drive. It will require an little extra work to setup 10.11. This way your primary partition is left intact and not disturbed.
Another option is an external drive, this leaves your primary disk untouched

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.