Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aaron.lee2006

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 23, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Fo a beginner, would rean be worth the $499? Or am I better off with something else. anyone with any comments could you please suggest any alternatives or give reason why Reason is worth the money or not worth themoney. i reall don't have enough for anything else. Oh yah and I know Garageband is good but I need something a little more complex.

scottlinux

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2005
I paid $200 for Reason 3. Do you have any EDU/church/etc relationships to get the discount?

Reason is perhaps the best 'all-in-one' type of a program. Has different synths, sampled instruments, 'beat machines,' and a functional sequencer to put it all together. Though the sequencer is somewhat limited as compared to full sequencers out there. I would say Reason is like a mega Garageband on steriods, with virtually unlimited possibilities of music you can make. The synths that come in Reason are very good.

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
The key word in your original post is "beginner" because that is what you'll get with Reason..

I loved Reason, but it's hard to escape that "Reason sound" in other words the drums are really flat and thin sounding...

I agree the Synths are nice, and it is great how everything is all contained.

So, for a beginning program Reason is perfect.

However, if I could go back in time, I would have started out with Ableton Live.

If you get Reason, you're eventually going to want to get Recycle too, so you can create REX files to use in the DR. Rex player..

and that is more $$

But, I learned a ton from Reason.

You can do a lot with Reason "lite" the version that comes with various Midi keyboards.

scottlinux

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2005
There are demos of Logic Express, Reason, and Ableton Live. And others. So you can try before you make the purchase.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
It depends entirely on the type of music you want to make, and the method you are most comfortable working in. The following is a broad generalization:

Reason is sequencer or pattern (loop) based program with sample playback and a cool assortment of synths and such built in. But it does not sample sounds itself - anything acoustic or from outside the program, you have to sample with another program then import. The sound of the drums isn't a deal-breaker, there is a wide variety of "refills" - sound libraries that you can buy and add to Reason (as there are for all other sample-based audio programs).

Abelton Live is particularly good at taking live audio sources, chopping, looping and mixing them together, especially quickly, or even in live performance. It is an acquired taste and talent, like scratching, that if you cotton to it can be immensely creative.

Cubase, Logic, and Digital Performer are classic MIDI Sequencer + Digital Audio + software plug-in studios that extend the multitrack tape analogy to computer production. They are complex and powerful - not as immediate as Reason and Live, perhaps.

ProTools is primarily an audio production studio with some MIDI capability and less facility to integrate with VST (software) instrumens and plug-ins tha the other 3, But it is a defacto standard in the industry

Nuendo is Cubase on steroids with a particular focus on audio production for film and video.

Hit the library and do some reading -- Sound on Sound, Keyboard, Electronic Musician, Recording, Computer Music, Future Music magazines all have reviews and how-to articles on all of the above.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
I love reason. It's by far the most stable music making software I've used. I can do more with synths on Reason than I can in Cubase.

I need to get Reason 3.0.5 (the Intel one) for my MacBook Pro. It runs under Rosetta, but you press play and the CPU level shoots straight to the top and gives you an error message saying the computer is too slow (not very impressive when I was showing the MBP to my head of music).

One important note about Reason, well two really...

1. Reason 3.0.5 will run on Intel Macs (natively), none of the other versions will. Reason 3.0.4 is the same, but it only runs on PPC Macs.

2. Reason doesn't record audio, or support hard disk streaming. So if you want to add vocals in to a song (or any other lengthy audio for that matter), you will want to download Audacity for the recording (and then import into Reason) and order your MacBook with more than 512 MB RAM! I'm thinking of upgrading mine from 1 GB to 2 GB when I can get hold of Reason!

c-Row

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Germany
CanadaRAM said:
[... lots of great audio applications...]

I would also like to add Renoise, a great Mac/PC tracker for those of us who favour the tracking style over sequencers. I initially started with trackers back in "the days", and although Reason is a great tool to work with, I somehow feel that working and playing in Renoise gets me faster where I want to get to.

Supports VSTs as well. The free version does no WAV rendering, but you can try it out as long as you want and save your songs in its own format (.rns) without limitations. Oh, and it's an universal app as well. :)

aaron.lee2006

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 23, 2006
Ontario, Canada
I used Ableton Live for a little with some ones computer. I lieked it, but I felt like everything was too scripted. The built in drum loops I want to start from scratch and finish with something I can truly claim as mine. I'm sure there is some deals on eBay and stuff. Does anyone know if reason is like a one disc for both osx and windows like WOW. So I could buy the PC version from ebay and install it on a mac? By the way thanks for all the input.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
Don't bother spending the money on Reason unless you have/are getting a MIDI keyboard. (I didn't realize this at first...d'oh!) I managed to get Reason through my school, and hooked my MIDI keyboard up to my computer...great program. Simple to use but a challenge to really master. I've had a lot of fun mixing tracks, playing with loops, sampling stuff and playing with it in Reason. If you can get your hands on it and a keyboard, go for it.

c-Row

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Germany
aaron.lee2006 said:
Does anyone know if reason is like a one disc for both osx and windows like WOW. So I could buy the PC version from ebay and install it on a mac?

Yes it is.

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
c-Row said:
Yes it is.

Really? I have Reason 3 for PC and it doesn't install on my Mac. The orkester soundbank etc.. works (obviously) but the program itself won't work...

c-Row

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Germany
Killyp said:
Really? I have Reason 3 for PC and it doesn't install on my Mac. The orkester soundbank etc.. works (obviously) but the program itself won't work...

It works for me, and even the packaging says "Windows [...] Mac OSX". Alternately, you might want to try to install one of the newest versions from their homepage which should work with your serial number.

aaron.lee2006

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 23, 2006
Ontario, Canada
thanks for the replies, and with the pirated software on ebay and stuff, I see alot on there about ne sealed in package and eBay has policies about stufflike that so i wouldn't worry too much about that. i'm glad i will install on both though makes me happier maybe i can buy it from a friend or something. And i do plan on buying a MIDI keyboard eventually (eBay is my best friend) So I think I would like to spend the money.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.