Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

T Coma

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 3, 2015
Flyover Country, USA
Any functional ethernet dongles out there that work via USB A hub?

TLDR: It has taken a while, but I've gotten accustomed to the port situation on my 16" M1 MBP. Well, other than the lack of ethernet. I'm getting up to about 450 Mbps up/down which is certainly fast, but we're paying for 1 Gig service and I want to use all of it. That is the fastest speed I can get regardless of proximity to the gateway.

Our 2011 iMac gets mid 900s up and down via ethernet, and I want the same on the MBP. I've got a USB A hub with all peripherals attached, nicely hidden under my desk. I'm enjoying "one-cable life" with the single A to C cable carrying all the data through the TB4 port. The desk is nice and uncluttered and I'm not interested in adding one of the more popular TB3/4 hubs for a couple reasons: 1) I don't need HDMI / SD / headphone etc. jacks, so it's pointless to pay for them and 2) I don't want an unsightly hub on the desk.

Simple solution: just add a USB A to ethernet dongle onto the USB hub under my desk, right? Well I got the TP Link dongle aaaaand... nada. Can't get it to work. Of course, it wasn't plug n play and required wading through a very unintuitive driver installation. But I still can't get it to work. I can see the device in the system report, but that's all. Short of buying an expensive hub with loads of other ports that I don't need, has anyone else come up with an ethernet solution that can work with the TB4 single cable "dock" philosophy?

I suppose it could just be a dongle manufacturer incompatibility, and there are other brands, but I was hoping not to learn by process of elimination, esp. if they won't work at all in my scenario.

T Coma

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 3, 2015
Flyover Country, USA
Turns out it was some incompatibility. I bought the first one I saw on Amazon that advertised ”no driver” - Uni brand, $16 - and it worked fine, plug & play. 925ish Mbps up and down now, through the USB hub.

Reactions: wilberforce
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.