Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hufflematt

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 7, 2015
UK
I admit I am the world's most indecisive person. I promise I'll seek a therapist. Maybe a team of therapists.

I've just placed my latest order: 42mm SS Link.

For those of you who've got one: do you love it? Does it feel reassuringly heavy and quality. Does it feel like value for money?

I sent my 42mm SS WSB because it just didn't love it and for the price I thought I should. I'm really hoping I'm going to love the Link.

Please tell me that you do!

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I have the SpaceBlack with the SpaceBlack link band.

It is not very heavy, in fact it is lite compared to many other watches I have worn. I do like it very much but has it's limitations.

Just do it and if you do not like you got 14 days to return. They are also saying that they will be in the stores next month!:rolleyes:

GrimmsGirl

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2013
If you didn't love your first watch because of the price, I doubt you're going to love the link any better at almost twice the price. I wonder if you would be happier with a classic buckle. It makes the watch look more "classic" and it's a fraction of the price of the link.

Don't get me wrong, I have the 38mm ss with the link and I do love it. Not because of the bracelet though. It's nice, but it's very light. It doesn't have the heft of most link bracelets I've owned. Very surprising. What makes it great is the ease of adjustability and that it makes the watch look more like a classic watch.

I think I should be the one to seek professional help after shelling out $1100+ for my watch, the link bracelet and 3 sports bands. Probably not a great ROI if I can't use these bands on the next gen, but it's the functionality of the watch that sold me and if I'm going to wear it, it has to look good!

hufflematt

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 7, 2015
UK
If you didn't love your first watch because of the price, I doubt you're going to love the link any better at almost twice the price.

It's not so much the money itself. I think if you're spending £519 on a watch, you should really love it. I didn't. Now I'm spending £859 on a watch I'm hoping I'll really love it. I think the killer was my choice of white sports band. Initially I thought it felt lovely, but it didn't look expensive.

GrimmsGirl

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2013
It's not so much the money itself. I think if you're spending £519 on a watch, you should really love it. I didn't. Now I'm spending £859 on a watch I'm hoping I'll really love it. I think the killer was my choice of white sports band. Initially I thought it felt lovely, but it didn't look expensive.

I understand that completely. I think the link looks the price, but doesn't necessarily feel the price. Hope that helps reassure you somewhat. :)

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008

But it's the same watch, just with a different band. Does a band really make you feel that different about the watch?

Personally, I don't think any of Apple's watch bands look or feel expensive. They are comfortable, but they strike me as utilitarian rather than luxury. For example, I saw Apple's classic buckle band, and I was like, meh. I walked into a Coach store, and saw *their* watch band. It had that luxurious, wow feel. So now, I'm sticking with my black sports band, and if I get a leather band, it'll be a third party band, or a traditional watch band with an adapter.

I do love the watch for what it does. But for how it looks and feels, Apple's bands are just ok. I wouldn't love any of them. Of course, that's just my personal taste, yours may be different.

hufflematt

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 7, 2015
UK
But it's the same watch, just with a different band. Does a band really make you feel that different about the watch?

As well as being ridiculously indecisive, I'm also virtually impossible to please!

But I do think the band makes a difference. I recently bought a regular, clockwork, watch and didn't like the leather strap that came with it, so I bought a different one. It completely changed the look of the watch and greatly improved it. (Of course, this is me we're talking about so naturally I returned the watch the next day because I didn't love it.)

I never really gave the Link serious consideration because of the cost. I agonised over all the other bands but none of them seemed quite right.

I really want a new watch. I can't find one I like. The regular watches I'm looking at cost twice as much as an Apple Watch so I thought, OK, I'll consider the Link. When I saw the shipping times were 2-3 weeks, I felt like the Gods were sending me a message. (The message was probably "You're nuts. Seek help." But I read it as "This is the watch for you. Order now.")

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008

Personally, I don't think any of Apple's watch bands look or feel expensive. They are comfortable, but they strike me as utilitarian rather than luxury. For example, I saw Apple's classic buckle band, and I was like, meh. I walked into a Coach store, and saw *their* watch band. It had that luxurious, wow feel. So now, I'm sticking with my black sports band, and if I get a leather band, it'll be a third party band, or a traditional watch band with an adapter.

I do love the watch for what it does. But for how it looks and feels, Apple's bands are just ok. I wouldn't love any of them. Of course, that's just my personal taste, yours may be different.

I really love the sport bands. Maybe that's oddball, but I feel like Apple spent a great deal of time figuring out how to make a sport band more comfortable and attractive.

I do agree that the others don't feel "luxurious." My husband has the link bracelet and he really enjoys it because it's comfortable, easy to adjust, and similar to the link style he wore before. It's definitely not a heavy link bracelet, though.

hufflematt

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 7, 2015
UK
It's definitely not a heavy link bracelet, though.

I just looked it up and it's the heaviest Apple Watch there is, including the gold ones. Which doesn't make it heavy, of course, but I'm hoping I might be satisfied. (I could always glue a lead weight to the base of it, I suppose.)

Maybe part of my problem is my existing watch, which is huge and pretty heavy.

Actually, I just weighed my current watch: it's 85g. The Link is 125g. So surely that will satisfy me! (The 42mm SS WSB is 100g, which is actually more than my existing watch, though it didn't feel like it.)

thomasfxlt58

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2014
As well as being ridiculously indecisive, I'm also virtually impossible to please!

But I do think the band makes a difference. I recently bought a regular, clockwork, watch and didn't like the leather strap that came with it, so I bought a different one. It completely changed the look of the watch and greatly improved it. (Of course, this is me we're talking about so naturally I returned the watch the next day because I didn't love it.)

I never really gave the Link serious consideration because of the cost. I agonised over all the other bands but none of them seemed quite right.

I really want a new watch. I can't find one I like. The regular watches I'm looking at cost twice as much as an Apple Watch so I thought, OK, I'll consider the Link. When I saw the shipping times were 2-3 weeks, I felt like the Gods were sending me a message. (The message was probably "You're nuts. Seek help." But I read it as "This is the watch for you. Order now.")

Why didn't you just order the link band for you first SS? I think you would have found occasion where the WSB would have been fun and appropriate. The versatility of the Watch with the ease of band switching makes this a really fun accessory watch/gadget. A central part of the Watch design is daily wardrobe coordination if you choose.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I really love the sport bands. Maybe that's oddball, but I feel like Apple spent a great deal of time figuring out how to make a sport band more comfortable and attractive.

I agree that the sports bands are comfortable and attractive, and that Apple spent a lot of time getting them right. I wouldn't say I "love" them, but they feel right for what they are. The other bands feel like an odd mix of aspiring to be luxury but didn't quite get there. I was excited when I read their descriptions online, but when I saw them in person, I felt they fell short of the hype. If I hadn't read overhyped descriptions of them beforehand, I might have liked them, lol.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
I agree that the sports bands are comfortable and attractive, and that Apple spent a lot of time getting them right. I wouldn't say I "love" them, but they feel right for what they are. The other bands feel like an odd mix of aspiring to be luxury but didn't quite get there. I was excited when I read their descriptions online, but when I saw them in person, I felt they fell short of the hype. If I hadn't read overhyped descriptions of them beforehand, I might have liked them, lol.

Yeah. I had to realign my expectations after seeing the bands in person. Funny how that works!

I guess I wound up liking the sport (and I thought I wouldn't even like it) and I like the others, but they were initially disappointing from a fashion perspective. I believe I learned to appreciate them from an engineering perspective. If Apple can move beyond the "engineered properly" stage to the "fashionably luxurious" stage, they'll be onto something with the next bands they release.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Actually, I just weighed my current watch: it's 85g. The Link is 125g. So surely that will satisfy me! (The 42mm SS WSB is 100g, which is actually more than my existing watch, though it didn't feel like it.)

Maybe most of the weight of your current watch is in the *watch*, whereas most of the weight of the Apple watch plus white sports band is in the band -- I don't have it now, but I remember seeing a chart showing the weights of each Apple band, and thinking the white sports band is heavier than the watch itself.

hufflematt

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 7, 2015
UK
If I hadn't read overhyped descriptions of them beforehand, I might have liked them, lol.

I actually really agree with this. I think Apple set up expectations that, to me at least, could not possibly be met. (If you're in the UK, you might agree that M&S do the same with their food adverts.)

----------

Maybe most of the weight of your current watch is in the *watch*

Yes, that's true, actually. The watch part is very heavy compared with the strap.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
If Apple can move beyond the "engineered properly" stage to the "fashionably luxurious" stage, they'll be onto something with the next bands they release.

I think the gold watches do look fashionably luxurious. Haven't tried them on, so don't know if those bands feel any different from the regular bands, and not interested in setting up an appointment just to find out.

But the problem with achieving luxurious feel is that you do end up having to price them higher. I think you do get what you pay for, and you can't replicate the expensive feel by settling for cheaper materials. It's like there's the $100 Ecco shoes, and then there's the $1000 Coach shoes. Most of the difference is not in the design, it's mostly a matter of the materials used.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
I think the gold watches do look fashionably luxurious. Haven't tried them on, so don't know if those bands feel any different from the regular bands, and not interested in setting up an appointment just to find out.

But the problem with achieving luxurious feel is that you do end up having to price them higher. I think you do get what you pay for, and you can't replicate the expensive feel by settling for cheaper materials. It's like there's the $100 Ecco shoes, and then there's the $1000 Coach shoes. Most of the difference is not in the design, it's mostly a matter of the materials used.

The gold watches are heavier. The cases have a more luxurious feel. Bands are exactly the same. I tried them on back in April.

I agree re: price of materials, but you see people already complaining over costs here on the forum, so they must know their target audience.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Love my SSLB. Love love love.

Not super heavy. Not light, but not the heaviest. Personally, I think it's pretty much spot on in terms of weight. Definitely feels solid unlike some cheap, hollow feeling link bands. But not obnoxious weighty like some Omega link bracelets.

Very comfortable for me. I've got hairy arms and it hasn't pinched or pulled that I've noticed.

I will tell people that if they can't get a great fit when removing links symmetrically, try asymmetrically. I removed 4 links total from the full length - 3 from my thumb side and one from my pinky side and it feeds much better than 2 and 2.

wdfly

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2015
I admit I am the world's most indecisive person. I promise I'll seek a therapist. Maybe a team of therapists.

For those of you who've got one: do you love it? Does it feel reassuringly heavy and quality. Does it feel like value for money?

I sent my 42mm SS WSB because it just didn't love it and for the price I thought I should. I'm really hoping I'm going to love the Link.

my opinion, cancel it and get a sport, save your big bucks for AW2 or beyond. saves $700

Crazy Matt

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2015
USA

Have you considered buying it with a sport band and getting a Hoco band. I ordered one after seeing a few people with them on here and saying they're real nice. It would save you some $$ too!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 95

redrog

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2008
Have you considered buying it with a sport band and getting a Hoco band. I ordered one after seeing a few people with them on here and saying they're real nice. It would save you some $$ too!

Do this. If you don't like it you can still buy the Apple one and have the SB for a change.

hufflematt

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 7, 2015
UK
i would have to say that nothing that you buy will please you.
go to the apple store.
do a try on and make a decision, and stick with it.

I ordered a Milanese loop earlier in the week, expecting it to take 7-8 weeks to deliver. I ordered it as an "insurance" in case I didn't like the sports strap I was originally planning on buying.

Anyhoo, it arrived today – two days after I ordered it!

And I actually like it!

So now I've cancelled the Link, which is much more expensive, and ordered (yet another) SS with BSB. And I think I might actually be happy because the Milanese loop has that jewellery/quality look I was wanting.

All I have to do now is wait for an actual watch for the strap to be put on!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.