Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oscarxvita

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2017
Recently I found that my macbook is running out of storage and the old internal ssd is going much slower, so I decided to buy a samsung 960 pro 512GB along with 12+16 adapter to upgrade my storage.

I reinstalled High Sierra on my old Apple SSD to update the BootROM, and then I switched out the old SSD to the brand new 960 pro.

However, at first, the disk utility(GUI) doesn't recognize the disk, when I open the terminal, using diskutil list, I can found the disk mounted.
So I use
Code:
gpt create -f /dev/disk0
to initialize the disk. Then I can find the disk in install.

After installing, everything works great, sleep is working fine.
However, I found some problems:
0. Kernel panics. (Probably Solved using a tape to shield the adapter pins).
1. Much longer boot time and shutdown time.
2. It usually fail sat reboot (black screen) and I have to force close and restart my mac.
3. BootCamp Control Panel in Windows is not working properly (pop ups error when launching).

Any ideas on the reboot problem?

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
That's too bad because that 960pro is an awesome drive.

I was looking to do the same for a MBA mid-2013 but it's just used for surfing and email so the Apple oem 128 GB Sandisk is fine for now.

oscarxvita

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2017
That's too bad because that 960pro is an awesome drive.

I was looking to do the same for a MBA mid-2013 but it's just used for surfing and email so the Apple oem 128 GB Sandisk is fine for now.

Yes, it is an awesome drive. It works, but not stable enough with my MacBook(random fail boot/fail reboot), it is definitely problem with Mac OS firmware .

Reactions: Audit13

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Yes, it is an awesome drive. It works, but not stable enough with my MacBook(random fail boot/fail reboot), it is definitely problem with Mac OS firmware .

You are running a configuration that Apple never tested. So I am not too surprised there are some issues. Fortunately there seem to be a number of people on Giles thread experimenting with your configuration. Someone will find a fix.

trevinator

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2017
did you try putting the tape on the adapter? or maybe try another adapter, they are fairly inexpensive.

djgxp

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2017
Guadeloupe
Hey, did you find some fix since the last message on this topic ?
I was about to do the same and I saw this topic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.