Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Schmactor

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 5, 2014
Is there any way to receive SMS text messages (not iMessages) on my iPhone when on WiFi only? I’m currently in an area where I need to stay in airplane mode with cellular data turned off. WiFi works just fine and I can receive iMessages fine but cannot receive others SMS text messages. Is there any way to make this happen?

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
Is there any way to receive SMS text messages (not iMessages) on my iPhone when on WiFi only? I’m currently in an area where I need to stay in airplane mode with cellular data turned off. WiFi works just fine and I can receive iMessages fine but cannot receive others SMS text messages. Is there any way to make this happen?

The only way you could achieve this is with a second phone and extra phone line...

tjv82c

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2015
Some carriers support SMS over Wifi, but you’d have to check with your carrier?

The SMS forward feature would require your phone to be in a SMS capable area, it would then forward those messages to other devices in a wifi only area (iPads / Macs)

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
As @tjv82c says, it's carrier dependent, but you must have Wi-Fi calling set up and active, i.e. you can make a call over Wi-Fi.

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
As @tjv82c says, it's carrier dependent, but you must have Wi-Fi calling set up and active, i.e. you can make a call over Wi-Fi.

Is wifi-calling something you generally have to manually enable?

I'd have thought if possible on his carrier, then OP would already have noticed as he's been in the situation. It's not a theoretical "what if" question - he hasn't found it to work thus far, and has therefore asked this question.

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
Is wifi-calling something you generally have to manually enable?

I'd have thought if possible on his carrier, then OP would already have noticed as he's been in the situation. It's not a theoretical "what if" question - he hasn't found it to work thus far, and has therefore asked this question.

Yes it is. It may require you to set it up with the carrier, and there are forms and disclaimers to click through (e.g. in the US, you must provide a default 911 emergency call address and wait until system validates it) and then Apple makes you click through their privacy notice about your location being sent to the carrier.

Due to the name, it may not be intuitive to a non-technical person that Wi-Fi calling also enables SMS; it does so because they basically run on the same infrastructure.

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
Yes it is. It may require you to set it up with the carrier, and there are forms and disclaimers to click through (e.g. in the US, you must provide a default 911 emergency call address and wait until system validates it) and then Apple makes you click through their privacy notice about your location being sent to the carrier.

Due to the name, it may not be intuitive to a non-technical person that Wi-Fi calling also enables SMS; it does so because they basically run on the same infrastructure.

Fair enough - that all makes sense.

However... after all of that there are carriers for whom it won't work and are limited to calling only.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
Carriers and supported features in Canada and US.

On AT&T and Verizon at least, SMS works with Wi-Fi calling enabled.

Being on that list doesn't guarantee SMS will work with Wi-Fi calling enabled.

In the UK, Vodafone and 3 have the same feature set listed. SMS doesn't work over wifi for Vodafone, but does with 3.

[edit: to this, thread, though that's no important - turns out op is on Verizon. His problem is that he can't enable it for some reason... https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/cant-enable-wifi-calling.2235069/ ]

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Being on that list doesn't guarantee SMS will work with Wi-Fi calling enabled.

In the UK, Vodafone and 3 have the same feature set listed. SMS doesn't work over wifi for Vodafone, but does with 3.

[edit: to this, thread, though that's no important - turns out op is on Verizon. His problem is that he can't enable it for some reason... https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/cant-enable-wifi-calling.2235069/ ]
I know hence the comment about AT&T and Verizon SMS working over wi-fi.

The list shows carriers where wi-fi calling isn't supported in the first place (ergo no SMS over wi-fi).

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
I know hence the comment about AT&T and Verizon SMS working over wi-fi.

The list shows carriers where wi-fi calling isn't supported in the first place (ergo no SMS over wi-fi).

Being on that list with “Wi-Fi calling” listed as a feature also doesn't guarantee SMS will work with Wi-Fi calling enabled.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Being on that list with “Wi-Fi calling” listed as a feature also doesn't guarantee SMS will work with Wi-Fi calling enabled.
Again, I know. That's why I specifically mentioned it works on AT&T and Verizon (which I both have and have confirmed working while in airplane mode).

Any carrier without wi-fi calling is an automatic no. Those with wi-fi calling are a maybe.

Reactions: konqerror
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.