Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RPrice

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2010
After pairing the pencil, I took it for a test drive in procreate and was not too impressed. I doodled around for a while trying to get a feel for it and it was not up to my expectations. So I decided to try it in Notes and it was a completely different animal. Then I tried it in Adobe sketch and again it worked beautifully. So I took it back to procreate and like magic it was sharp and precise. Not sure if procreate didn't fully recognize it at first but if you are having problems with slight lag or pressure sensitivity, try a different app for a few minutes. VERY happy now! This device is really going to allow me to get back into sketching, and change the way I go about thumb-nailing in my graphic design work.

Reactions: goomba478 and KPOM

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
I used the Microsoft stylus on the Surface today. It's not even close: the Apple pencil is light years ahead. Apple did an amazing job. (Just needs an eraser function in 2.0)

VesselA

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2015
I used the Microsoft stylus on the Surface today. It's not even close: the Apple pencil is light years ahead. Apple did an amazing job. (Just needs an eraser function in 2.0)

I am testing the surface pro and will be testing the apple pencil - what did you see as the problem with the surface pen?

bensisko

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
The Village
I have a Surface Pro 3 and it's pretty amazing! Overall, I like the Apple Pencil better. A lot of people complaint about the 'glide' on Surface but it never bothered me. I like the built-in button on the SP3 pen that allow you to quickly access the eraser.

ddrulez

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2012
Germany
The apple Pencil surface is a little bit too smooth in my opinion. Still a very good Pen and i draw a lot with it!
Finished this drawing today.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    171.2 KB · Views: 301

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle

I'm not sure I'm that bothered my the "missing" erase function. Tapping the erase button or flipping the pencil over and then back again - which is really faster?

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
I'm not sure I'm that bothered my the "missing" erase function. Tapping the erase button or flipping the pencil over and then back again - which is really faster?
I think people are attracted to the skeumorphism of it. Like "oh look! I can flip my pencil upside down and use it as an eraser! Like the real thing!"

$1,000 for an iPad pro and pencil just to replicate a 10 cent pencil. Smh

Reactions: haruhiko

rjjacobson

macrumors demi-god
Sep 12, 2014
After pairing the pencil, I took it for a test drive in procreate and was not too impressed. I doodled around for a while trying to get a feel for it and it was not up to my expectations. So I decided to try it in Notes and it was a completely different animal. Then I tried it in Adobe sketch and again it worked beautifully. So I took it back to procreate and like magic it was sharp and precise. Not sure if procreate didn't fully recognize it at first but if you are having problems with slight lag or pressure sensitivity, try a different app for a few minutes. VERY happy now! This device is really going to allow me to get back into sketching, and change the way I go about thumb-nailing in my graphic design work.

I am not an artist but like the Pencil. I was also wanting a new iPad anyway so I could give my iPad air 1 to my wife who was using the old iPad 2 that was gettting long in the tooth. (Grandkids now use the odl one).

Anyway finally got my pencil from Best Buy, (Apple simply could not get me one soon even though ordered same day as release of Pro (and I had that next day via FedEx).

My main reason to post here is i found maybe the best review yet of the pencil and what it does at least for those wondering if this is all worth it or not this might be of help...

http://www.macworld.com/article/300...ch-sharper-than-the-average-smart-stylus.html

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
To me the Pencil is exactly Apple. I'm surprised that anyone is surprised it doesn't have an eraser, buttons or clip. That's so not Apple. Also expensive artist pencils don't have erasers either.

RPrice

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2010
I think people are attracted to the skeumorphism of it. Like "oh look! I can flip my pencil upside down and use it as an eraser! Like the real thing!"

$1,000 for an iPad pro and pencil just to replicate a 10 cent pencil. Smh

Not just a pencil. Oil, acrylic, watercolor, custom brushes, instant access to reference, no clean up, no setup, instantly send to desired format. Also, I can freely experiment without wasting material. And, most importantly, my easel will always be with me if inspiration strikes.

goomba478

macrumors regular
May 10, 2012

I just did the same. I was so convinced that I was too far into Apple land that I had to at least give Microsoft a chance. As an illustration enthusiast I can tell you the two styluses couldn't feel more different. Apple really nailed it and I think artists are going to universally get a kick out of the Apple pencil, especially as more developers jump in and perfect their apps. I think eventually the Air 3 and possibly iPhone 7 will also work with the Pencil as well. It's a good time to be an artist and an Apple fan :).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.