Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Subu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 10, 2013
Dear all

Good day
I've been a loyal iPhone user since iPhone5
Now, I have an XR (the one with the issue), in addition to some other Apple devices
Couple of days ago I opted for the 13.7 upgrade on XR
My Receiver mic - the one on top / upper side is NOT working ever since
I am unable to hear the other side voice on mobile calls, unless I use speaker option or use earphones
I've tried the reset all settings, done a soft + unused tooth brush cleaning of microphones, slide the ringer on settings -> haptics, remove and add "..cancel background noise..", done two or three cold restarts and still nothing has changed (i.e.) I can't hear the voice and mobile calls
So, I'm told the next option before visiting a technician at apple store is to do a factory reset
I need a complete backup before factory reset
I do NOT have enough space on i Cloud, so I plan to backup on my win Laptop using iTunes
I know that iTunes backup does NOT backup photos and music, but what else is left out and how should I save those ?
I tried reading a few tutorials and checked some you-tube videos but none of them helped with REAL details !!

so, I'm here, requesting the community's help

1. What else can I do to get receiver mic working ok B4 a factory reset ?
2. what all to back up and save and how to back up before I do full factory reset of iPhone XR , iOS 13.7 ?

thanks in advance
best regards
Subu

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Restoring the phone with a clean install of iOS may not fix the problem. It could be a hardware problem that manifested after the upgrade. Unlikely coincidence but possible.
Pay another $ or two to increase your iCloud space for this backup. You can always downgrade to smaller storage afterwards.

Reactions: Subu

VineRider

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2018
From https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204136

Backups from your computer
A computer backup of your device, which is not the same as a sync, includes almost all of your device's data and settings. A backup from a computer doesn't include:
  • Content from the iTunes and App Stores, or PDFs downloaded directly to Apple Books
  • Content synced from Finder or iTunes, like imported MP3s or CDs, videos, books, and photos
  • Data already stored in iCloud, like iCloud Photos, iMessages, and text (SMS) and multimedia (MMS) messages
  • Face ID or Touch ID settings
  • Apple Pay information and settings
  • Apple Mail data
  • Activity, Health, and Keychain data (to back up this content, you'll need to use Encrypted Backup in iTunes.)

Reactions: Subu
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.