Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
Can someone confirm to me that if I have a cellular iPad Mini and a tablet data plan with my carrier, then I can forward calls from my iPhone to my iPad Mini while driving?

I ask because I'm thinking about using an iPad Mini in my car but I want to be able to make and receive calls on it while I drive. Yes my iPhone will be in the car too at the same time. Thanks.

MacNerd01

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2021
The Psionic Plane
Not unless you have a hotspot in your car (or on your phone). iPads can take calls if the iPhone that is receiving the call is on the same Wi-fi network.

You should be able to do this at home with no problem, but in the car, you’ll need a hotspot.

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
Not unless you have a hotspot in your car (or on your phone). iPads can take calls if the iPhone that is receiving the call is on the same Wi-fi network.

You should be able to do this at home with no problem, but in the car, you’ll need a hotspot.
Well that stinks.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Depends on the phone carrier. I know for sure this is doable on AT&T with WiFi calling enabled (limit 5 devices, iirc).

You don’t even have to use the same carrier on the iPad. I’ve got my iPhone on AT&T and I can receive calls on the iPad on T-Mobile $10/5GB/150 day plan even if I forget my iPhone at home.

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
Yes you can, with some caveats. The caveats are such that it is simpler, at least for me, to just use the phone.
See this post of mine and other posts in this thread:

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
Yes you can, with some caveats. The caveats are such that it is simpler, at least for me, to just use the phone.
See this post of mine and other posts in this thread:

If I have to use a hotspot it’s a fail for me while driving. I was hoping it would just forward calls to my iPad as I drive.

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
Depends on the phone carrier. I know for sure this is doable on AT&T with WiFi calling enabled (limit 5 devices, iirc).

You don’t even have to use the same carrier on the iPad. I’ve got my iPhone on AT&T and I can receive calls on the iPad on T-Mobile $10/5GB/150 day plan even if I forget my iPhone at home.
I wanted it while I drive away from Wi-Fi and would rather not use a hotspot.

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
If I have to use a hotspot it’s a fail for me while driving. I was hoping it would just forward calls to my iPad as I drive.
You don't need a hotspot. I don't have or use a hotspot. Perfectly possible to receive calls without even your phone on, without wifi, just through the cellular data plan. I have done it. Read my post again?
But you do have to have a cellular DATA connection, not a cellular PHONE connection

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I wanted it while I drive away from Wi-Fi and would rather not use a hotspot.

It works without hotspot. It even works when the iPhone and iPad are in 2 different countries as long as the iPad has a reliable internet connection. We've done this with iPhone on AT&T left in the US so as not to incur roaming charges and iPad on local Philippine SIM (~$2/week for 3-4GB, iirc).

From the Apple support link:

Screenshot 2022-01-05 at 10.06.03 AM.png

Last edited:

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
It works without hotspot. It even works when the iPhone and iPad are in 2 different countries as long as the iPad has a reliable internet connection. We've done this with iPhone on AT&T left in the US so as not to incur roaming charges and iPad on local Philippine SIM (~$2/week for 3-4GB, iirc).

From the Apple support link:

View attachment 1939273
As long as the iPad allows me to receive calls while I’m driving without a hotspot then I’m good.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I had a cellular iPad last year and I was fairly certain the cellular data plan was enough for me to receive calls when out on cellular (iPhone would forward the call to the device using the cellular data plan on the iPad). It was handy to have a pair of AirPods to do the call comfortably though.

I didn’t keep my cellular iPad and I had the problem where spam calls were forwarded to the iPad despite the iPhone being set to “send unknown callers to voicemail” - the iPad would be constantly bothered by calls. So I stopped forwarding my calls to other devices for this reason.

I opted for a cellular watch to grab important calls when I’m out and about. Been working for me for a few years now.

Reactions: poorcody
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.