Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

princealfie

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 7, 2006
Salt Lake City UT
Are there any good Mac sound cards for a PCI slot? I know about the M-audio but I am looking for some awesome sound quality for audiophile. And I am picky about sound in case you want to know that.

Audiophile sound cards please? And no gaming cards, I don't care for bass. I want accurate sound to the tee.

pm7300

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2006
PCI soundcard

Hi
I know it's slightly unbelievable, but I'm still home recording and editing with an old Emagic Audiowerk8 2nd generation chip, 18 bit/50Khz fitted in a PCI slot in my Powermac G4 dual 1,42 Mac OS X 10.4.8
The driver was not for version newer than 10.2, but it works flawlessy!
I bought it some years ago with Logic Audio 4 under OS9, but it is still working well with Logic Express.
The system deals with this card as it was native, ans sound preferences
can address the in/out perfectly, despite Emagic told me the card was made for OS9, and no support for OS X. Of course there are now better sound cards
but I saved my money!
Rob:apple:

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
How serious are you looking at editing? There are some great cards and chips ranging from anywhere between £150 and several thousand...

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
Firewire is a better bet in my opinion - it means you can recycle the soundcard regardless of an upgrade. If you buy a PCI card and your already superannuated PCI-slotted Mac dies and you decide to move to a Mac Pro or a laptop that's it, time for new card. With a Firewire interface you don't have that concern, and as an audio carrying medium Firewire (400 or 800, especially if you're more or less always in 44.1/16-bit stereo) is good. I recommend the RME Fireface - and despite the unnecessary number of IO's for a non-pro I'd recommend the 800 over the 400. Word clock, multiple routing possibilities, excellent DAC performance, stable driver performance, blah blah. If that's a bit rich, the Presonus Firebox is worth a look.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.