Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mode11

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 14, 2015
London
Hi, had a search around the forum but couldn't find anything on this topic. I'm experiencing very low frame rates (seems like about 2fps) in 3D games such as Ridge Racer 2 in SDLMAME, on Sierra 10.2.3. The 2D menu screens before the race work at full speed, but once into the actual race, performance is woeful.

I've tried a bunch of versions of MAME (all 64 bit), with matching ROM sets. My old 0.153 SDLMAME / romset from 2014 works at full speed (with a little frameskipping), but I haven't found a newer version that does. What's weird is that the Windows version of 0.182 works fine on the same machine, even in Parallels!

I'm using a dual 2.93GHz 2009 Mac Pro w/ 680GTX with a 1440p display, though have seen similar results on a 2012 Mac mini with a 2.5GHz i5 on 1080p TV.

Emulators and front ends do seem to spray config files around in various places, so it's possible I've enabled some feature somewhere, sometime that's causing this performance issue, and I don't realise it's still enabled (e.g. V-Sync or something). There are no GLSL effects turned on. It occurs whether running straight MAME or via a front end such as QMC2.

Could this be something to do with the SDL install? Is it worth uninstalling SDL and reinstalling it (not sure how to uninstall - just drag the framework to the Trash?)? Would running a 32bit version of MAME make a difference (one site seemed to think it was 'more compatible')? Does anyone know of any MAME-related feature that tanks 3D performance? I've tried everything I can think of, and am at a loss.

Last edited:

kaioshade

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2010
Tough one. Have you tried MAME through Retroarch? Just to see if it is SDL or something else possibly going on?

mode11

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 14, 2015
London
Thanks for the suggestion. Yes, I use RetroArch as well, and the problem is exactly the same there. I expect RA uses SDL in any case.

I've given up messing with OS X for emulation, partly because of this issue with MAME, but also because emulators for platforms like Sega Model 2 and 3 are supported only / better on Windows. I've since Bootcamped the mini and am running a LaunchBox graphical front end over mostly-RetroArch emulation, and it's all working great.

I'd still like to have the option to play 3D games in a recent MAME build on OS X, though. Most stuff works very well in OS X through RetroArch, so the problem is doubtless something simple I've overlooked. Maybe Sierra? Yearly updates for OS X are a PITA really - they don't add much, and usually break a load of stuff with third party apps.

kaioshade

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2010
I dont have those sets for MAME on me right now, but i'll test out on my machine and see if i can possibly help shed some light. Even if you dont use it at the moment, maybe someone else can get some help/information from it.

mode11

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 14, 2015
London
That's great - any additional data points would help. If you get any sets newer than 0.153 working properly for 3D games, that would be an improvement on my situation. 0.182 etc. works fine for 2D games. Are you on Sierra?

kaioshade

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2010
Yea, I'm on Sierra. test machine would be a Macbook Pro 2016. I'll be testing MAME .184 sets.

edit: I just tested Ridge Racer 2 (Rev RRS2), and encountered the same issues. Menus and title screen were fine, but once in game, dropped down to sub 10 fps. Very interesting.

Last edited:

vkd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
I tested the game noted above by kioshade using 'MAME OS X', Version 0.135 (135.00.00). I also tried Rev. RRS1 Ver.B, Japan but both came up saying they don't work. It says nothing you can do except wait for developers to improve the emulation.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-04-18 at 12.21.27.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-18 at 12.21.27.png
    64.1 KB · Views: 200

fireedo

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2011
Indonesia
Hi, had a search around the forum but couldn't find anything on this topic. I'm experiencing very low frame rates (seems like about 2fps) in 3D games such as Ridge Racer 2 in SDLMAME, on Sierra 10.2.3. The 2D menu screens before the race work at full speed, but once into the actual race, performance is woeful.

I've tried a bunch of versions of MAME (all 64 bit), with matching ROM sets. My old 0.153 SDLMAME / romset from 2014 works at full speed (with a little frameskipping), but I haven't found a newer version that does. What's weird is that the Windows version of 0.182 works fine on the same machine, even in Parallels!

I'm using a dual 2.93GHz 2009 Mac Pro w/ 680GTX with a 1440p display, though have seen similar results on a 2012 Mac mini with a 2.5GHz i5 on 1080p TV.

Emulators and front ends do seem to spray config files around in various places, so it's possible I've enabled some feature somewhere, sometime that's causing this performance issue, and I don't realise it's still enabled (e.g. V-Sync or something). There are no GLSL effects turned on. It occurs whether running straight MAME or via a front end such as QMC2.

Could this be something to do with the SDL install? Is it worth uninstalling SDL and reinstalling it (not sure how to uninstall - just drag the framework to the Trash?)? Would running a 32bit version of MAME make a difference (one site seemed to think it was 'more compatible')? Does anyone know of any MAME-related feature that tanks 3D performance? I've tried everything I can think of, and am at a loss.

have you edited "number proc" or something like multithread cpu ?
I'm using QMC2 SDLMAME frontend

mode11

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 14, 2015
London
I tested the game noted above by kioshade using 'MAME OS X', Version 0.135 (135.00.00). I also tried Rev. RRS1 Ver.B, Japan but both came up saying they don't work. It says nothing you can do except wait for developers to improve the emulation.

Well, version 0.135 is ancient, so isn't really relevant to the discussion about 0.184.
[doublepost=1493644883][/doublepost]
have you edited "number proc" or something like multithread cpu ?
I'm using QMC2 SDLMAME frontend

I haven't edited this myself, but perhaps the default setting (auto?) doesn't work well with multicore Macs and should be manually set to 1 processor. It's something to try, though it'd be a bit odd given how long multicore machines have been around. I am using a two-socket system, but the problem still exists on my mini (dualcore) and Kioshade's quadcore.

Is Ridge Racer 2 (or any other 3D game) working fine for you then? What Mac, OS and MAME version / romset are you using?

Last edited:

fireedo

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2011
Indonesia
I haven't edited this myself, but perhaps the default setting (auto?) doesn't work well with multicore Macs and should be manually set to 1 processor. It's something to try, though it'd be a bit odd given how long multicore machines have been around. I am using a two-socket system, but the problem still exists on my mini (dualcore) and Kioshade's quadcore.

Is Ridge Racer 2 (or any other 3D game) working fine for you then? What Mac, OS and MAME version / romset are you using?

I guess default setting is just using single core, when I change that (using 4 core) the performance is back to normal (100%).
CHD based games overall give me poorly performed when using single core, such as a fighting game "MACE" but when I change that multicpu I got normal performance
I'm using iMac late 2015 core i5, Sierra 10.12.4, romset 0.184.
sorry I'm havent try ridge racer 2, I will back to inform you tonight.

vkd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
Well, version 0.135 is ancient, so isn't really relevant to the discussion about 0.184.
[doublepost=1493644883][/doublepost]

Fair comment regarding age but you appear to be comparing the version number of one soft to the version number of a different software altogether. Not sure if that works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.