Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 7, 2004
Oslo, Norway
Hi

We are looking to buy new G5s for our graphics dept. Anyone have recommandations/preferences or links to tests of GeForce/Radeon/other graphics cards as to perfomance in Photoshop, InDesign etc. (gaming of no interest)?

Much appreciated.

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
Radeons have traditionally had slightly better 2d image quality, but overall the graphics card will be irrelevant (in 10.3, anyway. This may change later).

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
AFAIK the video card will have no effect of the speed at which photoshop etc render, it's all about the RAM and CPU. Any of the standard video cards should be fine.

iMan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 7, 2004
Oslo, Norway
So when I work with large images (50MB +) today I notice a signifcant lag when updating the screen (i.e. when resizing), this is only due to cpu/RAM issues?

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
iMan said:
So when I work with large images (50MB +) today I notice a signifcant lag when updating the screen (i.e. when resizing), this is only due to cpu/RAM issues?
I think so, your screen will always be 1280x1024, or 1600x1200, the video card is not working any harder to display a 50MB file at your screen res than it is a 1MB file. But your CPU/RAM will have to deal with the extra load a bigger file brings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.