Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
My university computer store has a single IBM Thinkpad on display. It was a 12" model. Other than that one single sighting, I haven't even seen one before.

I just saw a Gateway that I fell in love with. I'm going to buy a PB or iBook, but I'll consider the Gateway (and IBM) depending on the Mac support they give me at the university I'm attending in Australia. If I have trouble getting on their network or something (a topic I know nothing about :( ), then I'll go with the Gateway or IBM.

It was a 1.3GHz Centrino, 512MB of RAM, 40GB HD, Combo Drive, 14.1" screen, and best of all............it weighs 2kg (around 4.4 lbs). It costs $2299 Cdn, which is around $1500 USD. Its less than 1" thick, and weighs nothing.

Again, I don't know what brands are good, but I'm trying to stay away from Dell. Don't know why, but I just don't like them. :eek:

mgargan1

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2003
Reston, VA
that's the 200x... yea, it's one of our best sellers, and it's awesome. The only problem is if you do games, cause it uses shared memory, but if you don't play games, you won't notice a difference at all. And right now, we're throwing in a free upgrade to the 6 cell battery... go into a store and take a look. And if you live in the Maryland/DC area, come to the Gaithersburg store, and ask for Mike, and I'd love to help you out. But the best choice by far is the powerbook... windows sucks.

macktheknife

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2002
Consider a Gateway

I switched back from a TiBook to a Gateway 450 X, and I have absolutely no regrets about my decision. I honestly don't know why Gateway has such a bad reputation because my 450 X is the best laptop I've ever owned (a list that includes a Toshiba Satellite, two Dell Inspirons, and of course, an Apple TiBook). Here is a link:

http://www.gateway.com/home/prod/hm_450x_proddetail.shtml

I paid about $1649 for the laptop with a 1.4 GHz Pentium-M processor, 40 GB 5400 RPM HD, 512 MB of RAM, 32 MB video card, and a 15 inch SXGA screen. It is quite speedy and capable compared to my TiBook. My only qualm about the Gateway is that it is not as light or thin as my TiBook, but the difference in form factor is not terribly great.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
IBM Thinkpads are great laptops. I work with and support hundreds of them every day, they are solid, fast, reliable laptops, and personally I like the flat black blocky design, nothing to fancy, but functional.
The X series is the same kinda size as a 12" iBook, but w/o any optical drives (they have to go in the docking station :rolleyes:), so that's a good one if you want real good portability, and don't need to be accessing anything but our hard drive. Other than that the T series is a great all rounder. A bit bigger, but more powerful, bigger screen, and onboard CD/DVD or floppy (hot-plug bay).

So yeah, basically, for my money it’d be IBM.

legion

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2003
IBM sellers

Originally posted by MacFan25
Anyone know what stores sell Thinkpads? Or do you have to buy direct from IBM?

I'm not really interested in one at the moment, but I was just thinking about how I have never seen them in stores. :confused:

IBM, on their website, has a "business partner" lookup (that's what they call their resellers, just specify ThinkPads or you might endup at a server dealer.) You can use that to find a local dealer. However, chances are you'll only find a few demo models at these resellers and they don't usually sell from stock. IBM is very particular about the condition of a sold ThinkPad (they come double sealed, double boxed; if either of these are tampered with (there's tampered evident tape), the laptop cannot be sold as new.) University shops are the only ones I've seen that keep stock of them on the premises.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.