Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jameshenderson

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 20, 2011
Oxford
Hi,

I want to cut/trim the commercials out of .ts and .mp4 files that I have DVR'd. It needs to be smart (only re-encoding the frames between the cut-point and the next key-frame).

The closest that I can find that meets this criteria is:
  • SmartCutter - but it crashes (costs £ 50 but has not really been updated since 2013)
  • VidCutter - not been updated to fix a saving issue

Can anyone recommend anything?

jameshenderson

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 20, 2011
Oxford
Thanks!

Do you know that it smart-cuts in copy mode though?

In the help section it says (The bolding is mine):
Where frames jkl are broken, because they specify changes relative to an I-frame that no longer exists. There are two ways of dealing with that:
- Make sure the B marker is an I-frame. In that case no problem.
There is no 2nd way shown - the 2nd way would be to talk about smart-cutting.

Thanks,
J.

[edit:]
Just read another page on the docs and it doesn't smart-cut in copy mode (isn't frame accurate). Thanks, anyway.

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
The documentation hasn't been updated since 2016, while Avidemux has improved considerable in the mean time.

jameshenderson

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 20, 2011
Oxford
Yes, I quite like it - I have been using it the last couple of hours. I appreciate the recommendation.

...but It doesn't smart cut in copy mode.

jameshenderson

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 20, 2011
Oxford
bogdanw - this is really great. I have cut/trimmed out a lot of commercials now and realise that I donlt really need a frame accurate app anyway - thanks! :)

One question though, when saving the edited files, I can save some space by muxing it to .mkv. However, when I do this, I lose the aspect ratio. Loading and then re-muxing back to .ts brings the correct aspect ratio back (so I haven't lost anything) but I was wondering if you knew of a way of mixing to .mkv without losing the aspect ratio?

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
Output format - Configure - Force Aspect Ratio
mkv.jpg

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
My understanding is that, by "forcing" an aspect ratio, you bypass the apps's automatic detection, thus keeping your desired aspect ratio.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.