Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yorng

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 30, 2018
Hi, I had backup my iphone and migrated to a new iphone. However I realised all my videos from whatsapp in the previous phone was not back up. However the videos are still in the old iphone whatsapp app data folder and I felt it was good that I did not migrate the videos over because it will take up storage space.

However I have downloaded a dozen software and they can't read app data due to some changes since iOS 8. I have always been able to extract data from my phone and store it on a disk. I have found some software that claims to be able to extract the videos but all requires a paid version even the trial version won't allow you to extract 1 video to exactly know that you are purchasing the right tool. I don't exactly know how these software does it or if it really does as what it claims therefore I am not prepared to pay. I am a tech savvy person and all these software looks too fancy for it to be functional. Does anyone have any recommendations? It is frustrating spending an entire day trying to do something which I could accomplish in the past within less then an hour.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Hi, I had backup my iphone and migrated to a new iphone. However I realised all my videos from whatsapp in the previous phone was not back up. However the videos are still in the old iphone whatsapp app data folder and I felt it was good that I did not migrate the videos over because it will take up storage space.

However I have downloaded a dozen software and they can't read app data due to some changes since iOS 8. I have always been able to extract data from my phone and store it on a disk. I have found some software that claims to be able to extract the videos but all requires a paid version even the trial version won't allow you to extract 1 video to exactly know that you are purchasing the right tool. I don't exactly know how these software does it or if it really does as what it claims therefore I am not prepared to pay. I am a tech savvy person and all these software looks too fancy for it to be functional. Does anyone have any recommendations? It is frustrating spending an entire day trying to do something which I could accomplish in the past within less then an hour.
Normally a full backup and restoring from that backup (either iCloud or especially iTunes) should get you basically everything that is on your phone.

yorng

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 30, 2018
Normally a full backup and restoring from that backup (either iCloud or especially iTunes) should get you basically everything that is on your phone.

I backup through itunes but did not encrypt the backup so the passwords, health data and wallet was not backuo. As for whatsapp they require you to restore from an iCloud backup which I did but forgot to select include videos. But I am also curious to know how do you extract app data from iphone apps now? I have not been able to find a solution since iOS 9. In the past I could view the app data, extract the files I need but now I can't do anything. The software available just states it could "export" those data but I have no clue if it will be the files I need.

Deihmos

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2015
Is there a free app that can selectively restore? I don't want to restore everything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.