Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ericsthename

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 13, 2005
Vancouver BC
Can anyone recommend a Wii game that meets at least most of these requirements?

1- Not first party

2- Not minigame/party game

3- Designed for Wii from the ground up (or at least not a PS2/GameCube port)

So far, the only game I've bought for my Wii has been SSX Blur - one of the only games I can think of that meets the above criteria.

Basically I just want a fun game that I can play, without having to have 5 friends over for it to be amusing.

Shotgun OS

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2006
Ohio
Not much meets you're requirements there. Why don't you want first party?
The closest thing you can get is Excite Truck, I guess...but thats first-party.

Seeing how Zelda's a port, RE:4's a port, and SPM is first-party, you're really limited on there.

I'd recommend Excite Truck, though. A game worth buying.

AppleGuy2

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2007
Well, I would recommend Excite Truck. Its very very fun, and you can even load your SD card with your favorite music and race to that, instead of the crappy techno stuff they have. And although it was on GC, Zelda Twilight Princess is a must for ANY Wii owner. Ive been playing Mario Strikers Charged for the past few weeks. Its pretty fun, but as you said, you are not looking for sports games. Hope that helps. Oh yah, heres some clips of Excite Truck gameplay on the Wii:

The moron who made this video made it w.o sound, but if you want one with sound, theres like hundreds of vids of gameplay.

Gameplay

.Andy

macrumors 68030
Jul 18, 2004
The Mergui Archipelago
How about madden, mercury meltdown, or godfather? They all satisfy your criteria and have scored well (granted godfather which is a ~port). Alternatively if it's your cup of tea the new harry potter has been scoring some good reviews - 1up and IGN both gave it 80. Although some really low one's as well - gamespot gave it 50. The world is meant to be enormous and great fun to explore.

pcypert

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2006
Bangkok
Wait a few more months and there will be more. Until then Prince of Persia, Super Paper Mario, Res4, Strikers, Excite Truck, Godfater/Scarface, etc are a lot of good games to tide one over. I seriously doubt that one can only have fun playing 3rd party exclusive games...feels more like someone's trying to make a point than really looking for a game ;)

Paul

Jack Flash

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2007
Give Call of Duty 3 a try. It'll take you half, perhaps even a full hour to get used to the controls, but it is a fun game after you get past that learning curve.

AppleGuy2

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2007
Give Call of Duty 3 a try. It'll take you half, perhaps even a full hour to get used to the controls, but it is a fun game after you get past that learning curve.

^^ Very true. Try playing MOH Vanguard after getting used to COD3 controls...now that messed me up last night.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Elebits! Thats a pretty good Wii only game, none Nintendo

The Godfather is fun too(its kind of a port, but very well done)

Why don't you want to go first party?

Scarface, The Bigs, SSX Blur, Madden '07, Trauma Center: Second Opinion, COD3

steamboat26

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2006
Arlington VA
Godfather blackhand edition is a lot of fun, i highly recommend it.
IMO, Call of Duty 3 without multiplayer isn't worth it, unless you get an amazing deal

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Can anyone recommend a Wii game that meets at least most of these requirements?

1- Not first party

2- Not minigame/party game

3- Designed for Wii from the ground up (or at least not a PS2/GameCube port)

Why? Why not Zelda?

And why are you ruling out games like RE4?

Anyway, right now, stuff like Red Steel fit the bill, though they're only decent, not great, games. Eye of the beholder perhaps, I have heard good and bad reviews.

There's a ton more in the pipeline though. Ghost Squad, Dewey's Adventure, Zack & Wiki, Elebits, and Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles are ones that I recall from E3.

Also, why is everyone recommending Excite Truck, Call of Duty 3, and Godfather? Excite Truck is first party and the other two are ports.

ericsthename

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 13, 2005
Vancouver BC
Thanks for the suggestions, I just want to clarify a couple things:

Im not ruling out first party altogether, its just that everyone hears about the first party titles, so I've got a pretty good idea of whats good in the first party department - I'm not trying to make any point (which I assume is that the wii has poor 3rd party support?)

The names I hear quite frequently are, excite truck, zelda and the godfather. I thought about getting excite truck when I bought the wii, but I got mine shortly after launch and I wasn't sure the title would be worth the money it was going for. Now I could probably pick a copy up for $30 at EB or something.

Zelda I've heard really good things about, but would it be a write off for someone like me, who's never played any of the other zelda titles? Thats basically whats been holding me back on zelda twilight princess.

How about those shooters that were mentioned, MOH and COD3? Are they dirty PS2 ports? Thats basically what I want to avoid are shoddy graphical ports from previous gen consoles. Its not just that theyre ports, I dont much care as long as theyre done well. Its hard to justify playing a title that you know you could get for your PS2 at half the price and it would look nearly as good, you know?

The slow summer season is nearly over, then things will get right out of hand, with Halo 3 on 360, and all the games that are supposed to be coming - GTA4, metroid etc.

Any more recommendations?

Thanks again,

Eric

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
Zelda I've heard really good things about, but would it be a write off for someone like me, who's never played any of the other zelda titles? Thats basically whats been holding me back on zelda twilight princess.

TP was the first Zelda game I ever played, and I loved it. I've gone through and beaten it twice, actually (which is saying a lot, since it's such a long game). I don't think you'll be disappointed. Just don't give up in the beginning. It can be a bit dull until you get into the first dungeon, but then you'll be hooked. Don't miss out on this, man! It's epic!

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004

Actually, the ending wreaks so much havoc on continuity that it's probably better if you don't play the other Zeldas :D

Also, you can download Zelda: Ocarina of Time off of the Virtual Console. But Twilight Princess is good even if you have never played a Zelda game, it occurs several hundred years after Ocarina of Time so there's little character baggage left over.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
As everyone else has said - TP is definitely a detached game from other Zelda games. It's not like Windwaker and Phantom Hourglass, or Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask.

Without spoiling the way the series works (could it?) - pretty much all Zelda games have Link as a different hero, like a reincarnation of a legend. Some "mortal" characters and races live on through games if they're close enough together. And Shigsy isn't telling us how they're all connected yet :eek:

ericsthename

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 13, 2005
Vancouver BC
So I went into EB games today, and I was a bit disappointed. I guess the summer gaming drought has everyone looking for cheap used games or something, but the selection at this particular shop was pretty bad.

Aside from that, they didnt even have a lot of big new titles that should be prominently on the shelf - forza 2, colin mcrae dirt... medal of honour for wii

Excite truck they were still asking 49.99 for a used copy, and twighlight princess was 59.99.

Seeing as how you all recommend TP, even for someone who hasn't played other zeldas, I think I'll go for that - it seems like a deep game that I can get lost in for a while.

How does it compare or differ from oblivion?

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Some "mortal" characters and races live on through games if they're close enough together.

And if they're not close enough, there is still two characters that survive through everything, seemingly immortal.

Ganondorf, the villain, and Tingle, the fat annoying old midget who wears makeup and stalks children while wearing tights.

Will someone explain to me how Tingle survived for hundreds of years between Majora's Mask and Wind Waker?

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
So I went into EB games today, and I was a bit disappointed. I guess the summer gaming drought has everyone looking for cheap used games or something, but the selection at this particular shop was pretty bad.

Aside from that, they didnt even have a lot of big new titles that should be prominently on the shelf - forza 2, colin mcrae dirt... medal of honour for wii

Excite truck they were still asking 49.99 for a used copy, and twighlight princess was 59.99.

Seeing as how you all recommend TP, even for someone who hasn't played other zeldas, I think I'll go for that - it seems like a deep game that I can get lost in for a while.

How does it compare or differ from oblivion?

That's just ridiculous. Get Excite Truck when the price gets a bit lower perhaps. But TP is worth the full price.

I've only played a little Oblivion, I'll let Jimmi answer that one.

AppleGuy2

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2007
Just return your Wii to wherever you got it and don't play anything. Sounds like a good solution.

Also, what EB's are you going to?

>>"Excite truck they were still asking 49.99 for a used copy, and twighlight princess was 59.99."

EDIT, nvm. I see that you live in canada. Theyre rippin u up there.

applekid

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2003
Godfather and Scarface are supposed to be quite good. Don't know if they were ports though.

I may recommend trying out Elebits if the price is right.

student_trap

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2005
'Ol Smokey, UK

Come to the UK, then you'll be surprised: Wiimote around $70, games around $80, virtual console controller $30 etc etc...and don't get me started on how much mac cost here!

As for games, I can't recomend excite truck enough, its one of the most fun games I have EVER played! Its gameplay is just so addictive, its just so fun!

Otherwise, i really liked red steel, but its had mixed review and user opinions!

Resident evil 4 is unbelievable, although most have already played it

ericsthename

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 13, 2005
Vancouver BC
Just return your Wii to wherever you got it and don't play anything. Sounds like a good solution.

Also, what EB's are you going to?

>>"Excite truck they were still asking 49.99 for a used copy, and twighlight princess was 59.99."

Yeah, especially considering that the canadian $ is nearly at par with the american. A lot of these companies, apple included, don't update their retail prices to be conscious of dollar values. Lucky for me I live about 15 mins from the border, and only a bit over an hour from seattle, I can go swap a few dollars and reap the benefits!

MacTCP

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2007
I think that Super Paper Mario is one of the best, but that's first party. Elebits is a very good game also, and that's third party. I also like Cooking Mama: Cook Off. On that one, there's people who like it but also people who seem to hate it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.