Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
I like to encrypt specific folders and files on my MBA and Mini. There is no simple MacOS functionality in this regard. You can encrypt drives and volumes, but I'm talking about specific files and folders. Something that would be super easy to use, like right click on a file/folder etc., and have one of the actions be "Encrypt". I'm talking about files/folders locally on my MBA, not necessarily iCloud etc.

I see a few options in the App Store, like Encrypto - but I'm looking for really super user friendly and fast, not something where I have to fire up an app and drop files/folders into an area blah, blah, blah. Just: right-click on a file/folder, select "encrypt", done!

I also see Folder Lock, but it's $30 and I can't find the developer's site so I don' know how this particular pig in a poke looks like.

What do you use or recommend? TIA!

EDIT: Never mind, I didn't realize AxCrypt was available for mac.

Last edited:

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
The Mac is a true multi-user system. Nobody should be using your account but you. And unless someone is in your account, all of your data is secure from prying eyes. But if you are convinced you need it, encrypted disk images is how this is done on a Mac. It's not difficult. I would't trust any third-party app.

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
I like to encrypt specific folders and files on my MBA and Mini.
If your MBA and Mini are Apple silicon or Intel w/ T2 security chip, all your data is automatically encrypted on internal storage. Nothing to do. You would be adding a layer of encryption on top of already encrypted data.

If the data is on external storage, it might already be encrypted based on how you formatted the external storage.

More specifics about your Macs and set up would be required in order to know whether you need to encrypt anything at all. Of course, you can add as many layers of encryption as makes you comfortable... just important to know what you are doing and why you are doing it.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I like to encrypt specific folders and files on my MBA and Mini. There is no simple MacOS functionality in this regard. You can encrypt drives and volumes, but I'm talking about specific files and folders.
If you’re aware that the entire drive is already encrypted, why do want to encrypt files on folders on top of what is already encrypted? What exactly are you trying to accomplish? Whose eyes are you trying to hide data from?

Your answers to these questions will inform our answers as we try to help you.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"Encrypto" ??

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
Thank you everyone! My MBA/MM are both formated with APFS Encrypted, though my external drives are only APFS. I sometimes need to let folks at the office use my MBA, and sometimes folks enter my office and need access to my computer when I'm not there. I have some files/folders which only I should have access to, and I didn't want to create a bunch of users and complications with iCloud etc. So the simplest solution I thought was to use encryptions on my confidential files/folders.

Thank you everybody for your thoughts, advice and recommendations.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
Thank you everyone! My MBA/MM are both formated with APFS Encrypted, though my external drives are only APFS. I sometimes need to let folks at the office use my MBA, and sometimes folks enter my office and need access to my computer when I'm not there. I have some files/folders which only I should have access to, and I didn't want to create a bunch of users and complications with iCloud etc. So the simplest solution I thought was to use encryptions on my confidential files/folders.

Thank you everybody for your thoughts, advice and recommendations.
You could setup a guest account and let them use that. It would not have access to your main account’s files. You could then wipe the account after they are done. If this is a daily thing you might need some professional level software used by corporate IT departments though that probably would also be overkill.

• Love
Reactions: chabig
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.