Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

weezin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 20, 2012
I am in need of some advice regarding my network setup in our house. We live in a 1500 sqft house that sits on top of our garage, with lath and plaster walls. I have created a not-quite-to-scale view of the house layout:

lw0hHGf.png

We currently use a Nest WiFi router + node that I am not super happy with. It tends to be a bit unreliable with the node going offline many times a year. The main router also doesn't allow for multiple wired connections to it.

Here is what I'm interested in:
- A mesh router setup that is reliable and provides fast speeds throughout the house
- Great speeds throughout the house, in the living room and in the garage (below the house)
- Easy and set it and forget it type setup. I don't want to constantly be managing my network
- Ability to hardwire my Mac Studio, NAS, Time Capsule to the main router in the office without the need for a switch ideally
- Ability to do a wired connection to a node if desired, but will likely leave that connected via wifi to start
- A router + node(s) that are somewhat aesthetically pleasing

Details about our setup:
- We have multiple computers, phones, devices, Wyze cams, game consoles, etc connected via wifi
- Our lath and plaster walls seem to really challenge our wifi setup
- I don't have an option to move where the cable modem is for now
- We have gigabit fiber internet that is very fast

What would you recommend?

Last edited:

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I'm a fan of Ubiquiti devices. In your situation I'd probably go with a UDR and either a U6 Mesh or U6 Extender.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
In regards to a NAS, I highly recommend getting a Sinology NAS. For your needs, a 2 bay model would probably suffice. If budget allows, considering getting 2 x 10TB drives for the NAS. This way, you shouldn't have to worry about running out of space any time soon. The second drive would essentially be set up to mirror the first drive (in a RAID config). That way, if you were to have a drive failure, you shouldn't lose any data.

SalisburySam

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2019
Salisbury, North Carolina
We have a 4700 sq ft historic home with plaster/lath walls like @weezin . We tried single wireless routers without much success in most of the home, and we tried several. Finally gave up and went to mesh with eeroPro (Amazon) equipment of WiFi5 vintage. Bought eight of them. One is the gateway router connected to our gigabit fiber service and modem. From there we have a few Ethernet-connected devices (one AppleTV4k, one iMac, one other eeroPro node) using a switch. The seven non-gateway eeroPros are dispersed throughout the house considering the best locations as defined by the eero app and the rooms of highest WiFi usage. We have one eeroPro in our detached garage 50’ from the main house for automobile software updates, irrigation controller, and general WiFi iPhone/iPad use when there.

So the result: it’s OK and much better than before. Ethernet connections all deliver subscribed-to Internet speeds, WiFi connections considerably slower. But this is all significantly faster than using the one central router and we have WiFi throughout our home and garage at speeds that acceptably work on all devices. As to reliability, we’ve not had a single eeroPro failure since I installed them several years ago. They update their firmware automatically, usually around 2:00am or so. We’ve experienced three ISP outages each of less than an hour’s duration, and each time our network has successfully restored itself.

We could likely benefit from newer eeroPros with WiFi6, 6e, or now 7, or alternate mesh devices, but we don’t game and existing service is sufficient as configured. A better solution would be to improve backhauls by Ethernet-connecting all eeroPros to the gateway but running Ethernet through historic walls and flooring is very difficult, expensive, and generally a no-no given historic covenants.

I hope our experience helps. Happy to discuss further.

Reactions: kenny1wk

wyrdness

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2008
I'm a fan of Ubiquiti devices. In your situation I'd probably go with a UDR and either a U6 Mesh or U6 Extender.

Exactly this. I had a lot of wifi problems in my home which has very solid thick walls. I thought that I might need a mesh network, but I started with installing a Ubiquiti Unifi Nano HD. Now I get great wifi coverage everywhere, without even needing mesh.
Ubiquiti is professional grade kit, that's in a different league to home networking. Though the management software really requires Linux (though will run happily in Docker).

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Exactly this. I had a lot of wifi problems in my home which has very solid thick walls. I thought that I might need a mesh network, but I started with installing a Ubiquiti Unifi Nano HD. Now I get great wifi coverage everywhere, without even needing mesh.
Ubiquiti is professional grade kit, that's in a different league to home networking. Though the management software really requires Linux (though will run happily in Docker).
The newer stuff runs the Network app, so you don't need a separate device to manage it. In my home I have the Dream Machine Pro, but that needs a separate AP (I have 4, could get away with 2) for WiFi. I also have 7 security cameras connected to it as well. If the Dream Wall had existed when my house was built I would have gone with that instead (especially since I will probably move Protect to an NVR).

_timo_redux_

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2022
New York City
Faced with this question about three years ago. I also opted for Ubiquiti, with one of your criteria, aesthetics, being very important. The WAP (wireless access points) I've got throughout the house remind me more of the old Apple aesthetic, and aren't horrible looking like the often-recommended insect-like antenna affairs from other manufacturers.

The console can be managed through a web browser, you can but don't need a Linux box.

The best way to install Ubiquiti or some other system is to connect the access points via ethernet to the console (depends on which console, of course -- I have the UDM Pro, with a switch built-in.) I was fortunate that I had cat 5e in most rooms, all home-run to my cellar, where I also have the FiOS service coming in. I've even bypassed my provider's modem and run the ethernet directly into my console.

Down there I also put a NAS, in my case a Synology.

Not sure why you don't want a switch; switches are in my experience basically trouble-free. And Ubiquiti has a cheapish 10gbe one; I get great speeds to my NAS (which of course also has a 10gbe NIC) even though the in-wall ethernet is only cat 5e.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Ubiquiti has a cool design page that allows you to upload your floorplan and overlay walls, then put the actual wifi devices in to see what your coverage could look like.
1703368044041.png

This is my my floor plan with my UI devices. It allows you to make a shopping cart of what you need to buy as well.

weezin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 20, 2012
Thanks to all the replies here! It seems like the consensus is on Ubiquiti devices. I have to admit that I'm not as familiar with these as I am with some other things.

Is there a learning curve coming from someone who used Airport Extremes and then transitioned to a simple Google WiFi system? I have to admit that I'm not very savvy with this stuff beyond a basic router or mesh network. Any good guides or places to learn?

Thanks for these links!
In regards to a NAS, I highly recommend getting a Sinology NAS. For your needs, a 2 bay model would probably suffice. If budget allows, considering getting 2 x 10TB drives for the NAS. This way, you shouldn't have to worry about running out of space any time soon. The second drive would essentially be set up to mirror the first drive (in a RAID config). That way, if you were to have a drive failure, you shouldn't lose any data.
I realized that I mentioned the NAS in the title, but never actually talked about it in the post. I'm coming from a Drobo 5D DAS which has been rock solid and easy to manage and I am reluctantly planning to switch to a NAS before the Drobo dies (they are out of business). My 5D is a 4-bay version running a verion of Raid 5, so I'd want at least that in a NAS. I'm also interested in running the NAS right from my main Mac for speed purposes - I keep all of my photos that Lightroom accesses on the NAS and I'd want to keep it speedy.
We have a 4700 sq ft historic home with plaster/lath walls like @weezin . We tried single wireless routers without much success in most of the home, and we tried several. Finally gave up and went to mesh with eeroPro (Amazon) equipment of WiFi5 vintage. Bought eight of them. One is the gateway router connected to our gigabit fiber service and modem. From there we have a few Ethernet-connected devices (one AppleTV4k, one iMac, one other eeroPro node) using a switch. The seven non-gateway eeroPros are dispersed throughout the house considering the best locations as defined by the eero app and the rooms of highest WiFi usage. We have one eeroPro in our detached garage 50’ from the main house for automobile software updates, irrigation controller, and general WiFi iPhone/iPad use when there.

So the result: it’s OK and much better than before. Ethernet connections all deliver subscribed-to Internet speeds, WiFi connections considerably slower. But this is all significantly faster than using the one central router and we have WiFi throughout our home and garage at speeds that acceptably work on all devices. As to reliability, we’ve not had a single eeroPro failure since I installed them several years ago. They update their firmware automatically, usually around 2:00am or so. We’ve experienced three ISP outages each of less than an hour’s duration, and each time our network has successfully restored itself.

We could likely benefit from newer eeroPros with WiFi6, 6e, or now 7, or alternate mesh devices, but we don’t game and existing service is sufficient as configured. A better solution would be to improve backhauls by Ethernet-connecting all eeroPros to the gateway but running Ethernet through historic walls and flooring is very difficult, expensive, and generally a no-no given historic covenants.

I hope our experience helps. Happy to discuss further.
This was super helpful, thank you! You have a TON of nodes - wow. I've heard that adding nodes to a mesh network can slow things down, but if the alternative is no coverage at all, then obviously you made the right choice.
Good to hear, thank you. This seems like a good option, although I'm a bit worried about how to manage it, as I'm a bit of a noob (see initial response above).
Faced with this question about three years ago. I also opted for Ubiquiti, with one of your criteria, aesthetics, being very important. The WAP (wireless access points) I've got throughout the house remind me more of the old Apple aesthetic, and aren't horrible looking like the often-recommended insect-like antenna affairs from other manufacturers.

The console can be managed through a web browser, you can but don't need a Linux box.

The best way to install Ubiquiti or some other system is to connect the access points via ethernet to the console (depends on which console, of course -- I have the UDM Pro, with a switch built-in.) I was fortunate that I had cat 5e in most rooms, all home-run to my cellar, where I also have the FiOS service coming in. I've even bypassed my provider's modem and run the ethernet directly into my console.

Down there I also put a NAS, in my case a Synology.

Not sure why you don't want a switch; switches are in my experience basically trouble-free. And Ubiquiti has a cheapish 10gbe one; I get great speeds to my NAS (which of course also has a 10gbe NIC) even though the in-wall ethernet is only cat 5e.
Thanks! I didn't want a switch because I wanted to keep the system as clean as possible, but I can see how it makes sense.
Ubiquiti has a cool design page that allows you to upload your floorplan and overlay walls, then put the actual wifi devices in to see what your coverage could look like.
View attachment 2328315

This is my my floor plan with my UI devices. It allows you to make a shopping cart of what you need to buy as well.
Very cool! Maybe this would be worth it for me - I'd heave to measure my rooms and such, but it's probably worth it.

TriBruin

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2008
I am generally happy with Ubiquiti equipment, but a warning about the UDR (Dream Router). If you have an internet speed greater than ~700Mbs, you will not be able to get you full speed. The hardware in the UDR is limited. I have 1GBs down and still only get 700Mbs down with the UDR. I am hoping to replace with a UDM Pro-SE soon.

You can look at the new UniFi Express as an alternative. It is still have WiFi 6 and runs the Network application, but does not have a built-in switch, nor does it run any other UniFi apps.

Reactions: weezin

dimme

macrumors 68040
Feb 14, 2007
SF, CA
I have a TP Link Omada wired router and they also have access points. It's cheaper that the Unfi products but not a nice looking. Software on the router works fine and I can create separate vlans for my computers and IOT stuff. But for me my router is hidden and I had two access points from a older system that work fine.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I am generally happy with Ubiquiti equipment, but a warning about the UDR (Dream Router). If you have an internet speed greater than ~700Mbs, you will not be able to get you full speed. The hardware in the UDR is limited. I have 1GBs down and still only get 700Mbs down with the UDR. I am hoping to replace with a UDM Pro-SE soon.

You can look at the new UniFi Express as an alternative. It is still have WiFi 6 and runs the Network application, but does not have a built-in switch, nor does it run any other UniFi apps.
Is the UDR limit because of the IDS/IPS feature? I chose the UDMP over the UDRs predecessor because of the hit when using that feature.

Unifi Express I like, not a fan of the 4 Unifi Network device limit. Which would be fine if it had a 4 port switch built-in but it doesn't.

splifingate

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
What would you recommend?

As simple a setup as you can possibly manage.

Surprisingly, I do not adhere to this advice 🤷‍♂️

I have two Ubiquity Nano HD "UFO" WIFI units that serve wireless for my Frânkenschtein network in my 1,2K home, and (for the most part) everything is excellent.

They are powered by a Ubiquity US-8-60W (which generates heat comparable to the dark-side of the planet Mercury, fwiw), and controlled by a UCK-G2 device via PoE to the US-8.

The US-8 is attached to a core EdgeRouter-4 (which connects to ATT Fiber 1G/1G (it was a rather Grand Funk Railroad to rid myself of the obnoxious Modem that ATT provided)).

I have about five nine switches connecting all sorts of funky stuff to entire layers of other stuff doing intricately-abysmal other Stuff.

It's Complicated ;)

Do You want to be happy, or do you want your Wife to be happy?

There is only one choice, in the end <smile>

SuperCachetes

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2010
Away from you
I just went through this exercise a few months ago when our ISP gave us a mandatory/involuntary (but mostly free) upgrade to gigabit service. I upgraded the cable modem and the router/network downstream of that. I went with a TP-Link Deco XE75 Pro because it has a 2.5G WAN port and so did my new modem. We don't have any WiFi 6E devices yet, so I am using that frequency spectrum for the dedicated wireless backhaul. The plaster/lath wall construction you have might cause issues with a wireless backhaul, and/or the higher-frequency bands like 6E, but with two nodes in that size house you can probably get it to perform with some playing around.

In my case we have two nodes as well: a Synology NAS and TV are hard wired to the main node, and an Apple TV and Xbox are hard wired to the mesh node. That maxes out my ethernet ports, but having to add a switch someday isn't the worst thing I can think of. The XE75's downstream ethernet protocols are all 1G as far as I know, so maybe not quite future-proof in that respect, but more than adequate for my needs at the moment. None of my actual computing devices need hard-wired speed for what we do. Even the NAS is an array of 5400 rpm drives in RAID1, and is strictly for backups as opposed to file access.

I can't compare this system to the Ubiquiti stuff, but the setup and overall reliability of the TP-Link system are far better than the 802.11ac Orbi setup we replaced. I love the TP-Link app, and it is sufficiently simple, even though I don't mind digging deeper. The QoS, security, and performance tools are all easily understood and meaningful, at least to a hobbyist consumer. The Netgear app is trash and a few years ago, it took torches and pitchforks from an angry mob to get them to offer any kind of support at all.

According to the app, around 25 devices are typically connected to our network when active. I work from home, and right now in our two-story 1,600sf house of four people, two college students are home for the holidays constantly consuming content. We all have laptops and iPhones and various gadgets/toys, plus Nest cameras, printers, etc etc etc. Nearly all of our media is streamed (vs. OTA or CATV etc). Even right now, when everyone's awake and Time Machine is churning over WiFi, I can still pull 500 Mbps down on my MBA in a different room from any node. 700+ Mbps is more typical over WiFi when things are more calm around here. When I first set up the system, I got 900+ playing with a wired connection just for giggles.

Good luck!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: SalisburySam

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
If you are looking for a simple to set-it-and-forget it mesh router system with a focus on security and parental controls, I will recommend Gryphon. I have a Gryphon mesh system in my 3200 sq/ft 3-level home and it works great. Mind I don't have lathe and plaster walls and my mesh backhaul is ethernet, but the two tower Gryphon units have pretty powerful radios. The two are at opposite ends of the home and are actually too strong. I have to set the configuration to low power radio otherwise I'm blasting signal to the neighbors.

The parental control features are beyond compare... and I've tried several highly reviewed products before deciding to stick w/ Gryphon. If you have kids, I urge you to take a look at the Gryphon system. Incredible feature set for managing access to different sites and apps - time limits, app limits, etc. Out of the box, it supports secure remote management of parental controls via a iPhone/Android management app.

If you are someone who prefers to tweak endless network settings or have an array of system management features, the Gryphon might not be for you. Due to their security conscious focus, Gryphon does not support a web management console. Management is via the iPhone/Android app only. However, if you are someone who prefers to set-it-and-forget-it, the Gryphon mesh system is perfect. Honestly, I can manage my own home networking equipment. I have the experience and skill set. (I used to use Ubiquiti products but the buggy firmware releases were too much for me to deal with). In this case, it isn't necessary. The Gryphon mesh is simple, fast, and reliable.

I have two Gryphon Towers (the Wi-Fi 5 AC versions) and Gigabit 1Gbps/100Mbps service. I routinely get close to my service bandwidth down/up when wired and between 450-620Mbps download (depending on where I am in the house) and 100 Mbps upload when wireless. The AC Towers include a 4-port switch while the AX Towers have a single LAN port.

Best of luck choosing!

Edit:
I have a Synology NAS for file serving and Time Machine backups. Another excellent product, although Sinology has started to take a page from Apple and is now requiring you purchase storage upgrades, etc from them for a premium.

weezin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 20, 2012
Thanks to everyone that replied, it is really, really helpful.

I'm going to consider my options and go from there!

Reactions: splifingate

kenny1wk

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2012
My 2 cents worth of advise. For your 1500 SF home I'd try the eero pro 6 wireless router. The cost is around $119.00. I just bought one a week ago for a backup to my 2012 Airport Extreme. which still works wonderful. After setting up the eero 6 Pro and using it for a week, I honestly like it better than my old Airport Extreme. Much faster wifi speeds 40 feet away from the router than my Airport and the app for your phone gives great info on what's hooked up, etc.. If you have any spots that are low on signal after trying the single router, you can easily add an eero extender.

weezin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 20, 2012
My 2 cents worth of advise. For your 1500 SF home I'd try the eero pro 6 wireless router. The cost is around $119.00. I just bought one a week ago for a backup to my 2012 Airport Extreme. which still works wonderful. After setting up the eero 6 Pro and using it for a week, I honestly like it better than my old Airport Extreme. Much faster wifi speeds 40 feet away from the router than my Airport and the app for your phone gives great info on what's hooked up, etc.. If you have any spots that are low on signal after trying the single router, you can easily add an eero extender.
Thanks! Are you using them with a wireless backhaul or wired? I'd MUCH prefer to do wireless.

kenny1wk

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2012
I have a wired cable modem that comes into the house. Attached to it is the eero pro 6 router with a single Ethernet cable. That's all I have. Eventhough the eero is a mesh router, which can have several extenders, I only have the single router. I can add an extender to a place in my home with weak signal, but so far really don't need one, because of having my router pretty centrally located and it advertises coverage for up to 2,000 sf by itself. I only pay for 500 mbps of internet speed. I just ran a speed test to the mac I'm typing on 40 feet away from the router and got 454 mbps download speed. Yes, Amazon bought eero out, but it so far works wonderful for me. I did not pay for the extra eero services they try to sell you at install.Give it a try, if you don't like it you can return it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.