Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joelax

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2019
Philadelphia, PA
Hi guys,

I have this theory that iPhones start to become obsolete when you update your iOS. It's just a matter of time before the phone's problems increase and you need a later model. So I don't update my iOS for as long as humanly possible. Usually towards the end it's a race between my battery failing and the last of the apps I regularly use continuing to work.

I've used this mindset with my macbooks. I have a macbook pro from 2015, which works fine. Unfortunately, I need to use a program called R for a class in school. I am able to download an older version, but can't get a package to load within it because it needs a newer version, which then requires the newer version of R, etc. I am still running Yosemite 10.10.5.

Do people think that this will be a death knoll for my macbook pro? Or do macbook pros tend to work better with iOS updates? Or will this help buy some more time for my computer?

Thanks for the help.
-Joe

dangerfish

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
MacBooks don’t run on iOS. They run on macOS. I always run the latest software; even run the betas on my main machine. I have a 2008 iMac running the most current version that it will allow.

Reactions: joelax

joelax

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2019
Philadelphia, PA
MacBooks don’t run on iOS. They run on macOS. I always run the latest software; even run the betas on my main machine. I have a 2008 iMac running the most current version that it will allow.
duh. I knew that it was macOS, brain fart. thanks! that is reassuring and I will update.

Spudlicious

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2015
Bedfordshire, England
Yosemite, I'm sure, booted quicker than later versions, but apart from that it's a no-brainer to upgrade to Mojave. Just image your current setup so you can backtrack if you want to (you won't want to) and do it.

Reactions: joelax

Apple_Glen_UK

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2015
West Sussex, England
Yosemite, I'm sure, booted quicker than later versions, but apart from that it's a no-brainer to upgrade to Mojave. Just image your current setup so you can backtrack if you want to (you won't want to) and do it.

I second that. I also have a 2015 MacBook Pro which came with Yosemite installed on it. I stuck with that for ages until eventually upgrading to Sierra and couldn't believe the difference in performance. It became so much quicker, snappier and just generally smoother in every way. I upgraded to Mojave recently and speed-wise I think it is the same, but overall I am liking Mojave even more. You will notice a big improvement from Yosemite, I believe.

Plett

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2016
I have two 2015's in the house running Mojave. They are fine, one is a MBA with min spec. I understand your fear and you do your thing. I would suggest that the issue with iOS devices was answered and now understood and it relates to degrading batteries. When we learned of this travesty last year, or 17 I can't recall, I sent my daughters 6plus in, when she received it back it ran like new on the latest iOS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.