Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

interbear

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2012
UK
How is the fan noise of the Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon? Is the fan audible with everyday tasks like web browsing, Word/Excel and stuff like that?

I‘ve currently reverted to using a X1 gen 5 (2018) to reeducate myself on Windows before the new X1 gen 9 arrives. It’s actually OK for most things, but the fans ramp up big style when on a MS Teams call and using Excel. I’m hoping the new one will be a bit better. One of the reasons I upgraded from my 16 inch MacBook Pro (which ran very hot and very noisy) to the M1 MacBook Pro a couple of months ago was to improve this. The M1 Pro is brilliant, runs silent whatever I’m doing on it.

Reactions: Aggedor

Aggedor

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
The 6th gen is the same. When my wife opens a few tabs in Chrome on hers, it ramps up like a jet engine. I'd be curious to know if they've gotten that under control too.
Right. The other thing is that with my gen 7 trying to self-ignite, I'd get an hour of battery time IF I wasn't doing anything. I used to have regular Skype and Teams meetings for work that lasted 1-2 hours, and from a full charge, my gen 7 could only get to about 40 minutes before the battery was totally gone. Having to have the machine plugged in constantly was a real drag.

Very interested to hear how the gen 9 performs!

Reactions: TechRunner

Aggedor

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
I‘ve currently reverted to using a X1 gen 5 (2018) to reeducate myself on Windows before the new X1 gen 9 arrives. It’s actually OK for most things, but the fans ramp up big style when on a MS Teams call and using Excel. I’m hoping the new one will be a bit better. One of the reasons I upgraded from my 16 inch MacBook Pro (which ran very hot and very noisy) to the M1 MacBook Pro a couple of months ago was to improve this. The M1 Pro is brilliant, runs silent whatever I’m doing on it.
Same here - ditched my gen 7 X1C, got an M1 MBA. It outperforms my gen 7 by a signficant amount, is silent, runs completely cold, and has such incredible battery life I charge it maybe 1-2 times per week.

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
How is the fan noise of the Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon? Is the fan audible with everyday tasks like web browsing, Word/Excel and stuff like that?
X1C9 is dead silent for me for browsing, mail, reading, writing and such tasks. I'm not using Word/Excel with it though as I'm running Linux. I do have WPS office on it and it's the same. Throwing tons of stuff on it will make the fans go up however. It's a lovely little device and my favorite laptop right now, over Razer Blade Studio and MBP (those are much more powerful however).

interbear

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2012
UK
Looks like I’ll be able to comment on the X1 Carbon gen 9 sooner than I expected. When I ordered it on December 3rd Lenovo were saying shipment in 6 weeks or more. Just got advised it’s on its way and will be delivered Friday. I do like it when expectations are exceeded :)

Sagnet

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2009
Looks like I’ll be able to comment on the X1 Carbon gen 9 sooner than I expected. When I ordered it on December 3rd Lenovo were saying shipment in 6 weeks or more. Just got advised it’s on its way and will be delivered Friday. I do like it when expectations are exceeded :)
Please leave a report. :) How is it working for you? I'm debating between an X1 Carbon gen 9/10 and a 14' MBP as my new work laptop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.