Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ToddJ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 23, 2008
Does anyone have any recommendations a good audio splitting and/or merging software? I am looking for one that really doesn't alter the audio in any way (I've tried using GarageBand for it, but it seems to always adjust the sound tonality.) I have some voices memos i would like to split up into different files and a couple of songs (that I own btw) that I would like to combine as one track

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Important question:
What FORMAT is this source material in?

mp3?
Aiff?
WAV?
Something else?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OK if the files are mp3, there is an EXCELLENT tool that will do the job:
MP3 Trimmer
https://download.cnet.com/MP3-Trimmer/3000-2170_4-43446.html

The reason it's better than most (than all?) is that MP3 trimmer works with mp3 files "in their native format".
That is, it DOES NOT first "decode" the mp3, then trim it, then RE-code back to mp3 format.
Thus, there is no further loss in sound quality by re-encoding files to mp3 format a SECOND time.

There are many ways to edit files of other formats, without losing quality in the edit process.
But I haven't seen anything other than MP3 Trimmer that can do this with mp3 files with NO LOSS in sound quality.

That's my recommendation.

Reactions: kaya

ToddJ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 23, 2008
Thanks for the recommendation!! Is there another one that is a little more automatic?

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
When I split audio files I turn to Audacity (I also use it for the recording process).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.