Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KiwiSkier

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 24, 2024
I'm looking for software to run on a desktop Mac that will enable me to plan my life better. It doesn't need to be free, but I'm retired, so the price needs to not be exorbitant either.

In a nutshell, this software will give me the list of what I need to do "today" (i.e. any given day).

For more than a decade I've lived with a cobbled-together 'system' to do this, made up of several applications:
• a calendar program (not iCal), for things like appointments, birthdays, holidays, and simple one-off tasks
• Excel spreadsheets, to keep track of simple repeating tasks, e.g. house cleaning and maintenance
• a Gantt program, to organise/plan more complex tasks
• a Word file, where I hold the 'events' for the coming week in templated tables
This last is created by hand each week, with the data from the other three apps, thus giving me the list for "today".

As a retired software engineer, I've intended for years to build my own replacement, but, well, there always seems to be something else that has a higher priority in my life and I'm sick of my Heath Robinson setup.

I can expand on the below if necessary, but am trying here to keep the verbiage to a minimum.

Must-haves:
1. Be able to work completely offline. This program will be the repository of my entire life, so will contain some pretty personal information. It must be able to work entirely without any sort of "phone home" activity, and I will be using Radio Silence to ensure this.
2. Works on Monterey. I prefer the old known bugs to new exciting ones, so tend to update my OS pretty infrequently.
3. Gantt-ing. Finish-to-start links must be available, and I need some way of achieving start-to-start functionality ("all these tasks start on the same date as this task", and moving it moves them all); I can live without the other two link types. Lags between linked tasks to be both positive and negative values ("this task starts 3 days before that task").
4. Arbitrary nesting and grouping of tasks. Gantt links must be possible between tasks which do not belong to the same 'tree'.
5. Export capability. Nothing too fancy needed here; just the selection of columns/fields and output to CSV will be fine.

Seriously like-to-haves:
A. One-time licence fee. I'm fine with this being restricted to just a single major version of the software. (I'm not likely to update it, anyway.)
B. Gantt tasks can also repeat, so complex tasks which I do annually can copy/move themselves to the following year once done.
C. Archive and prune, with some way of accessing the archive files.
D. Progress measures to be more than just Not-done and Done. Percentages would be fine, as would a simple Not-done / In-progress / Done model.

Systems I have looked at:
• OmniFocus -- does not have Gantt-ing and although OmniPlan does, in order to get them to work together (in a pretty limited way, it seems) I'd have to pay US$550 to get the Pro version of each
• Monday.com -- seems to be 100% online
• Asana -- ditto
• Things -- does not have Gantt-ing
• Todoist -- subscription model and seems to be 100% online
• Clickup -- seems to be 100% online

Any help in locating such a system will be very much appreciated! :)

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
Having worked as a Software Development Director for the last 10 years of my professional life, Project Management still interests me. So I googled some and found iTaskX that looks like ticking a lot of your boxes as well. I downloaded their 15 days Trial version to experiment with.

Reactions: sracer

KiwiSkier

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 24, 2024
Having worked as a Software Development Director for the last 10 years of my professional life, Project Management still interests me. So I googled some and found iTaskX that looks like ticking a lot of your boxes as well. I downloaded their 15 days Trial version to experiment with.
Thanks -- iTaskX is my current Gantt-er, and unfortunately it's one of the reasons I wanted to build my own! It drives me nuts in too many ways to count...

Thanks @GerritV and @mailbuoy -- will check those two programs out and report back :)

Reactions: GerritV

KiwiSkier

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 24, 2024
Finally had the time to look at these today.

Both look quite nice, and have some good features. However, unfortunately QuickPlan seems to have no calendar functionality/linkup, and thus there will be no way for me to see everything I need to do "today" (no appointments, for example).

And despite nearly pulling my hair out it seems that Pagico doesn't do Gantt-ing and is unable to group tasks into subtasks. (I may have missed something here, so please correct me if I'm wrong on that.)

Are there any other recommendations for solving my overall problem?

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
Finally had the time to look at these today.

Both look quite nice, and have some good features. However, unfortunately QuickPlan seems to have no calendar functionality/linkup, and thus there will be no way for me to see everything I need to do "today" (no appointments, for example).

And despite nearly pulling my hair out it seems that Pagico doesn't do Gantt-ing and is unable to group tasks into subtasks. (I may have missed something here, so please correct me if I'm wrong on that.)

Are there any other recommendations for solving my overall problem?
I have used Merlin Project in the past, but that has become a subscription based app by now.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Todoist can work offline just fine. and you don't have to buy the subscription, unless you plan on using the extra features that come with it. I have been using it for free for a couple of years.

KiwiSkier

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 24, 2024
What about Project Office?
Has some good features, esp the ability to set times (which some of the above programs don't offer, strangely) meaning I could use it for appointments, but the lack of any Find feature blows it out of contention, sadly. But thanks :)

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
I use the Omnigroup apps a lot. OmniFocus for todo list stuff, Omniplan for Gantt charts. They make quality products that integrate well and work across devices. They've been with MacOS since the OSX changeover, I think because they were developing for NeXT before that.

KiwiSkier

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 24, 2024
Todoist can work offline just fine. and you don't have to buy the subscription, unless you plan on using the extra features that come with it. I have been using it for free for a couple of years.
Gee, they don't exactly make it easy to find the non-web based version, do they? When I click on Start For Free, it wants me to log in, give them a photo!, and then takes me straight to the web based version. I have to go all the way to the bottom of the home page before I can find anything about downloading :(

And, actually it doesn't work offline very well. I've so far had to take it out of the Radio Silence firewall list twice, and this is just to get my prefs set up.

Thanks, but no thanks...

KiwiSkier

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 24, 2024
I use the Omnigroup apps a lot. OmniFocus for todo list stuff, Omniplan for Gantt charts. They make quality products that integrate well and work across devices. They've been with MacOS since the OSX changeover, I think because they were developing for NeXT before that.
I agree, there is a lot to like about their products, they seem well designed and solidly built too. But as I wrote, OFocus doesn't do Gantt-ing and in order to get it to talk in even a limited way to OPlan I'd need to fork out US$550 which is way too much for me. For that sort of money I'd want the integration to be pretty much perfect, not the hobbling version they're offering.

Reactions: Analog Kid

bad_robot

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2019
You could try Taskwarrior, an open-source, command-line-based task manager that works offline and allows for significant customization. While it doesn't offer Gantt charts out of the box, you can create a simpler task management system with it.

You might want to consider hiring someone for mvp web development. This approach would give you the exact features you need without extra bloat. You can work with a developer to create a tool tailored to your specific workflow.

Last edited:

KiwiSkier

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 24, 2024
Thanks -- have had a quick look just now, seems this "ecosystem" (for want of a better term) is very heavily command-line (as you mentioned) and really I would like a GUI :)

I'm now partway through a full trial of OmniFocus and OmniPlan -- will almost definitely end up buying OFocus, and probably OPlan too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.