Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StarbucksSam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 21, 2004
Washington, D.C.
If you are considering a silicon skin for your new iPod, I have tested out two products and decided to keep one of them - the other is going back.

I tested two skins, one being iSkin's evo2 for my fourth generation iPod. I also tested the Digital Life Outfitters (DLO) Jam Jacket. Both units were in the closest color to blue, with the DLO Jacket known as "Cobalt" and a lighter shade provided by iSkin known as "Sonic".

I have rated the skins on the following:

iPod Coverage
Quality of Material
Screen Protection
Overall Appearance

iPod Coverage

iSkin: A
DLO: C+

The iSkin fully covers all aspects of the iPod except for the click wheel. It covers the top of the unit and leaves open access to the hold button, remote port, and headphone port.

The DLO Jacket covers all aspects except for the skin, just like the iSkin, but it also leaves the top completely open. This would not be so much of a problem, but it also leaves the top portion of the sides open and these are very prone to scratching. It also means the unit may fall off more easily.

Quality of Material

iSkin: B+
DLO: B-

The iSkin has a good material quality, and though lint and dust will stick to it, that is the nature of the material. It feels sturdy and it is very easy to slip the unit in and out, but the unit can't slip out on its own.

The DLO skin seems a bit flimsier - and it's not as sturdy as the iSkin. It also attracts dust, but I can't determine which attracts more.

Screen Protection

iSkin: A-
DLO: D

The iSkin offers screen protection in the form of a hard piece of plastic that is placed between the iPod and opening where the screen is on the silicon jacket. There are six little soft "contacts" that keep this from scratching the iPod, and it holds in place pretty well. However, in a pocket, this can be easily altered and may not offer protection from dust, but will not shift enough for keys and coins to become a problem.

The DLO skin's screen protection is an atrocious excuse for laziness. The screen is covered with a very VERY thin layer of "clear" silicon. You can barely see the screen, because it leaves undesireable "wet marks" (source of term: iPod lounge) present. These marks are what you see through dirty goggles - and at best the screen is unclear and junky looking. This thin layer could rip VERY easily and I don't trust it - that's most of the reason this product is going back.

Overall Appearance

iSkin: A
DLO: C

The iSkin's lighter and more vibrant blue certainly beat out the less attractive and darker "cobalt" in my mind. The iSkin has far superior appearance because it covers the entire iPod in a tasteful manner, where the DLO version of this product is just... hideous.

Final Grades

iSkin: A-
DLO: C

Additional Notes

I was testing the regular version of the DLO skin which retails at $19.99. There is also a version available with the belt clip at $29.99. The iSkin comes with a belt clip and retails at $29.99. While the DLO skin costs 10 dollars less if you don't care about the belt clip, please remember that you get what you pay for. I believe the iSkin, while there are minor flaws apparent, is the best silicon skin on the market at this time.

dav

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2004
Good review... I have the older jam jacket (no screen protection).

I didn't like it for a period of time, but now I do. Reason being, if feels great and scratches are not an issue for me :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.