Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slimecity

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2017
Does anyone have a recommended home inventory package they use to keep an inventory of home items for insurance records?

I have had a nightmare of a time finding anything good. There are several on the Appstore however most dont have reviews.

I tried Home Inventory by Binary Formations Ltd and it was a nightmare. I spent weeks loading my item info to it, several months later I tried adding something else, and the damn thing had lost my source file, therefore all my info was lost.

It was also very old school & clunky, the backup process was cumbersome (only to Dropbox, rather than to elsewhere online) and it could only export to csv files, not pdf. Not user friendly or versatile at all.

Can anyone recommend anything that they have used, which is reliable, trustworthy, cost effective, and user friendly?

thanks

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Depends on what you want an inventory program to do. Simplest thing is to just enter the data you need into Excel or another spreadsheet program.

Reactions: slimecity

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Agree with HDFan: spreadsheet lets you itemize it just about any way you might want.

I'll add: use that camera in the phone, tablet or a dedicated one to roam around the house and shoot all of your stuff. A picture is worth a thousand words... and much better proof than text typed into a row in a database cell.

Graham Caracas

Suspended
Jun 24, 2020
Six Toe, MO
Native apps are wonderful tools. You can list inventories and serial numbers, scan receipts and create video and photographic documentation for all your precious things, then store this data on some external device that you can keep in a safe place. It is possible to think for yourself and create something more personalized and secure than anything you buy.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I've used Home Inventory for years ...

The maker (Binary Formations) has recently announced that Home Inventory will continue to get "support", but will not receive any update ... it's being replaced by their new product called Under My Roof Home Inventory, but I have not used it.

Last edited:

dianerh

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2015
Richmond, VA
Does anyone have a recommended home inventory package they use to keep an inventory of home items for insurance records?

I have had a nightmare of a time finding anything good. There are several on the Appstore however most dont have reviews.

I tried Home Inventory by Binary Formations Ltd and it was a nightmare. I spent weeks loading my item info to it, several months later I tried adding something else, and the damn thing had lost my source file, therefore all my info was lost.

It was also very old school & clunky, the backup process was cumbersome (only to Dropbox, rather than to elsewhere online) and it could only export to csv files, not pdf. Not user friendly or versatile at all.

Can anyone recommend anything that they have used, which is reliable, trustworthy, cost effective, and user friendly?

thanks
I'm so sorry for your frustrating experience with Home Inventory! The good news is your inventory data is stored in a file completely separate from the application so you should be able to use the Finder app to search for all files ending with .hi3 on your system. Once you find your file you can double click it to open it in Home Inventory (as long as the app is installed). If you have any questions you can reach us at support@binaryformations.com.

"It was also very old school & clunky,..."

Couldn't agree more!! We created the first version of it in 2005 and it shows, which is why when we went to create an iOS and iPadOS version we decided to rethink what this type of app should be and built a brand new app. We released Under My Roof® last year and it's available for the Mac, iPad, and iPhone and uses iCloud to sync across devices. If you're open to giving it a try, you can download it on the App Stores for free to make sure it's a fit. You can import your Home Inventory file. There are ratings and reviews on both stores to check out.

If not, there are other apps on the App Store and several Web-based apps available. It really depends on your needs. If you just need is a list of items for insurance purposes, you may want to check with your insurance provider. Most have free apps to capture an inventory available for their customers.

I hope this helps.

diane (cofounder of Binary Formations)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.