Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pi101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2022
Hey,

I have an iMac (27-inch, Mid 2011) running High Sierra. The shop I got it from upgraded the storage to a 1 TB Solid State SATA Drive and installed Mac Fan Control on it.

When they gave it back to me it had these settings -

ODD - Constant 3800
HDD - Sensor CT1000BX500SSD1 (start at 42 and max 70)
CPU - Constant 2600

My question is - is this much required or can I turn it down a bit, it's very loud and I use the comp for recording music. Can I set all 3 to the Sensor or to Ambient so it just kicks in when it needs some extra? If so with what range? I can't seem to find the recommended safe operating temps.

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks a lot guys

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Hey,

I have an iMac (27-inch, Mid 2011) running High Sierra. The shop I got it from upgraded the storage to a 1 TB Solid State SATA Drive and installed Mac Fan Control on it.

When they gave it back to me it had these settings -

ODD - Constant 3800
HDD - Sensor CT1000BX500SSD1 (start at 42 and max 70)
CPU - Constant 2600

My question is - is this much required or can I turn it down a bit, it's very loud and I use the comp for recording music. Can I set all 3 to the Sensor or to Ambient so it just kicks in when it needs some extra? If so with what range? I can't seem to find the recommended safe operating temps.

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks a lot guys

I would set like below
ODD: GPU temp/GPU heatsink temp (55~70)
HDD: constant 1800 (or the highest speed which you can't hear)
CPU: CPU core average (55~80)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.