Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kingcoherent

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 30, 2022
Hi,

I'm currently using an old 2015 intel MacBook Pro. I maxed it out at the time of purchase and it's served me very well, but it'll soon be time to upgrade.

I use it for a mix of photography and music. The latter has been holding me off upgrading.

My studio is a bit of a mix of computer-less (hardware sequencer courtesy of a Squarp Hapax and a Zed series analog mixer from Allen & Heath), and computer driven. The latter has causedsoe issues as my kit, whilst working perfectly, is very old. I have an E-Magic AMT-8 and a Focusrite Sapphire Pro. Neither are supported on Catalina and up. I think I can replace the AMT8 with the Hapax.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a new Apple silicon compatible multichannel audio interface? Ideally I'd be able to record everything, pre-fader, multitracked into Logic. I don't need mic-preamps.

(to start off with I'll probably be fine without a new interface, which is a massive relief)

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
When you say 'multichannel' how many channels are you talking?
I've not really had any issues with my Motu M4 in my Studio Max-based home studio, but based on what you're currently using I'm guessing that's not giving you enough inputs.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I recommend going to the Sweetwater website and searching USB and Thunderbolt interfaces there…using the sidebar filters to narrow down based on your needs. You won't have any trouble getting someone there to answer any questions that the website omits.

I don't know what brands they don't carry but it can't be many. That you'll have to research elsewhere.

Kingcoherent

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 30, 2022
When you say 'multichannel' how many channels are you talking?
I've not really had any issues with my Motu M4 in my Studio Max-based home studio, but based on what you're currently using I'm guessing that's not giving you enough inputs.
Thanks. I used to have a Motu 828 way back (when I had a G4 Powerbook) and it was really solid (I can't remember my Mac crashing when using it, even live - and latency was great for the time), will check them out again. If I want to record all my outboard at once then I'd be looking at at least 12 in. I'm not sure I'd ever do that, but I also hate having to re-cable every time I tweak my setup.

A good friend works at a music college and they've just switched all their teaching studios over to M1s. Unfortunately they're having a *lot* of stability issues, I'll have to double check what interfaces they're using. Apart from Logic the only 3rd plugins I use are the SoundToys set and Izotope for "mastering".

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
Thanks. I used to have a Motu 828 way back (when I had a G4 Powerbook) and it was really solid (I can't remember my Mac crashing when using it, even live - and latency was great for the time), will check them out again. If I want to record all my outboard at once then I'd be looking at at least 12 in. I'm not sure I'd ever do that, but I also hate having to re-cable every time I tweak my setup.

A good friend works at a music college and they've just switched all their teaching studios over to M1s. Unfortunately they're having a *lot* of stability issues, I'll have to double check what interfaces they're using. Apart from Logic the only 3rd plugins I use are the SoundToys set and Izotope for "mastering".
The good news is I think Izotope will be a safe bet. I use RX9 Elements or whatever it's called and I have no issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.