Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TECK

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
I’m using a Trebleet enclosure that gives me 2700MB/s reads/writes, when connected to my Studio M2 Ultra. Is there a better portable option out there? A WD Black SN508X supports up to 7300MB/s, which will match the internal M2 disk speed.

Brian33

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
USA (Virginia)
I've been following the MacRumors thread that you linked, and IIRC pretty much no one is getting above 2800 MB/s, right? (Maybe there was someone who reported 3000 MB/s??)

A WD Black SN508X supports up to 7300MB/s, which will match the internal M2 disk speed.
My understanding was that it is a limitation on any storage connected via the Thunderbolt port. (That is, that not all the 40 Gbps that Thunderbolt 3 and 4 can do can be used for storage devices.) The WD SN508X might do 7300 MB/s, but the Thunderbolt connection just cannot transfer data that fast. (And, no, USB isn't going to be any better.) If you're using it in an external enclosure with a Mac, there's no point in having an NVME SSD that's any faster than about 3000 MB/s. (But that's still pretty darn fast!)

I could be wrong, but I think you're getting almost the best possible external storage throughput with the enclosure you've got.

Reactions: TECK

MrTed

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2006
Paris, France
Hi, do you know if the 4 bay NVME trebleet enclosure runs hot when using 4 drives ? if yes could it break them ?
I saw there is a version with fans but I need the enclosure to be quiet. It is for a recording studio use.
Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.