Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

milo

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 23, 2003
I'd appreciate any recommendations for good instructions/software for rooting Android. In my case specifically Moto G5 plus running android 7. There are obviously many options out there but I'm not sure which to trust.

Along the same lines I'd like to make a full backup of my phone before trying anything - again many options but it seems like most of them require rooting the phone before being able to do a full backup which seems to defeat the whole purpose.

Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I'd appreciate any recommendations for good instructions/software for rooting Android. In my case specifically Moto G5 plus running android 7. There are obviously many options out there but I'm not sure which to trust.

Along the same lines I'd like to make a full backup of my phone before trying anything - again many options but it seems like most of them require rooting the phone before being able to do a full backup which seems to defeat the whole purpose.

Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.
Best source on rooting and development around.... XDA

https://forum.xda-developers.com/g5-plus

https://forum.xda-developers.com/g5-plus/how-to/how-to-root-moto-g5-plus-t3579659

https://forum.xda-developers.com/g5-plus/how-to/unlock-bootloader-lenovo-motorola-moto-t3581133

pandi.ruvina

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2017

Any good source for Samsung Galaxy J5 2017 J530F Model? Didn't fin anything on how to root! For the moment I'm only interested on rooting it just to remove some default apps like Samsung Apps and Microsoft things, not custom roms!

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
See if TWRP or another custom recovery is available if it is then you can look for root.

From the looks of it people are just starting to play with the phone which doesn't much surprise me since it is Samsung and not a flagship. Samsung isn't particularly well loved on XDA because they make everything difficult, special SW and/or drivers special flash commands and the like just make it not worth it.

If you want to root and flash ROM's you need to start with a more flexible phone the J5 seems to be a mid $200 phone and in that price range I'd pick up a Nexus 5x.

Reactions: pandi.ruvina

pandi.ruvina

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2017
See if TWRP or another custom recovery is available if it is then you can look for root.

From the looks of it people are just starting to play with the phone which doesn't much surprise me since it is Samsung and not a flagship. Samsung isn't particularly well loved on XDA because they make everything difficult, special SW and/or drivers special flash commands and the like just make it not worth it.

If you want to root and flash ROM's you need to start with a more flexible phone the J5 seems to be a mid $200 phone and in that price range I'd pick up a Nexus 5x.

Was not my first choice, but was short on budget so now i'll just wait until the Pixel 2 comes out. Anyway, thanks for the info given, will try to search for TWRP custom recovery|

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
Was not my first choice, but was short on budget so now i'll just wait until the Pixel 2 comes out. Anyway, thanks for the info given, will try to search for TWRP custom recovery|

I'm always short on budget for phones, keep in mind that the flashing the Pixel is more complicated than Nexus since it has an A & B boot image.

pandi.ruvina

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2017
I'm always short on budget for phones, keep in mind that the flashing the Pixel is more complicated than Nexus since it has an A & B boot image.

What?! Seriously?! I consider myself new to android, been 5 years with Apple so some things are unknown to me! I just want to remove some Samsung Apps and Microsoft things that are preinstalled on device, for the moment if there is no custom rom available! That's it! But if you are telling me that flashing the Pixel is more complicated, than I should probably reconsider buying it!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.