Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alvin777

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Hi Mac friends.

I'd like to fresh install Big Sur as a back macOS (it'll be in the same Container as another Volume on the same NVME disk) because it works with my Wacom Intuos 4 and then just install one app called Krita for digital painting. It's a volume, a backup macOS boot volume dedicated to Wacom and digital painting.

My documents created from Krita will be saved from another volume and or disk. I'll be doing some browsing for video tutorials mainly, about how to do digital painting. How much space do I need for my case? I ask coz' I don't have much space left on my NVME.

Thank you.

JustAnExpat

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2019
This is something you can answer.

1. Big Sur takes up to 19GBs for a fresh install. https://mackeeper.com/blog/macos-storage-requirements/ You may be able to slim down the install by removing some extra programs.

2. I don't know how much space, if any, a WaCom driver will take up and the supporting software. I'll be safe and say 1GB (I really don't know though)

3. Krita needs 300 MB of space, per a quick Google search.

Total space need: about 20GBs.

You'll need free space as well for swapping. I recommend 20% free space. So 4GB.

Minimum drive size with free space: 24GB.

Reactions: Alvin777

gilby101

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
Minimum drive size with free space: 24GB.
Plus space to do updates and upgrades of macOS.
Plus space for Time Machine snapshots (but maybe you don't care about backup).
Plus space for temporary files and caches (including the video tutorials).
My minimum would be 50GB.

Or try 24GB and see if the whole thing hangs or refuses to do stuff.

Reactions: Alvin777
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.