Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

QuantumDot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
Hello. My 16" MacBook Pro will be arriving soon. In preparation, I'd like to get some advice on covering up ports that I will not be using, primarly to avoid collection of dust. I could use tape to block the unneeded ports. But for want of a better solution, is there such a thing as 'empty' plug or 'dud' plug that fits into a given port but does nothing? In particular, I know I will not be using SD slot. So is there such a thing as 'dud' SD card that I can leave in there?

If there are better solutions, I'd like to know. Thank you in advance.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I don’t think you should worry about dust in the ports. If your environment is that dusty, far more dust will be sucked in by the fans through the intakes on the sides.

Reactions: hotdogcowboy

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
Auto acrylic tape if it makes you feel better. Carry the roll, and scissors, with you in case you need some of the taped ports.

QuantumDot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
Thanks everyone for the replies. It looks like the best thing to do is not worry about dust getting in the ports. How can I can mark an answer as accepted? Thanks again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.