Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theanimala

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 2, 2007
I have a Sandisk iXand usb-C thumb drive that amazingly enough is fast enough to work with my new iPhone 15 Pro Max when recording Prores video. I would love to be able to record standard non-ProRes video and photos directly to the drive. Are any of these other formats supported?

sack_peak

Suspended
Sep 3, 2023
I have a Sandisk iXand usb-C thumb drive that amazingly enough is fast enough to work with my new iPhone 15 Pro Max when recording Prores video. I would love to be able to record standard non-ProRes video and photos directly to the drive. Are any of these other formats supported?
Why not select a diff video format and point it to save to the external USB-C flash drive?

Reactions: jrcsh6

jrcsh6

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2008
Recording standard 4k60 would be great just to have the freedom to shoot a lot

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
Oh that’s terrible then. Would have been great to be able to shoot any 4K video to an external drive not just ProRes. A lot of people could benefit from being able to record directly to USB drives, but I guess then no one would buy phones larger than 256gb.

Maybe third party apps will support shooting 4k HEVC to usb?

Reactions: jrcsh6

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
It's an obvious lock-in feature, otherwise nobody would buy storage from Apple. The entire file system is locked down.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.