Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cybix

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
Western Australia
I'd like to start up a podcast and would like to be able to record audio outdoors (interview people on location)...

my equipment thus far includes a MacBook Pro, iPod nano, iPod mini.

I need a portable means of recording, something small. I dont want to take the MBP onsite all the time as it wont be possible in some areas.

Could I record using one of my iPods? is there a device with good enough quality? Is there a way to record from an external mic to an iPod?

suggestions welcome!

The podcast will be about 'radio models' (like r/c boats, cars, planes, etc)

Thanks, James

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
this might help you...

Cybix said:
I'd like to start up a podcast and would like to be able to record audio outdoors (interview people on location)...

my equipment thus far includes a MacBook Pro, iPod nano, iPod mini.

I need a portable means of recording, something small. I dont want to take the MBP onsite all the time as it wont be possible in some areas.

Could I record using one of my iPods? is there a device with good enough quality? Is there a way to record from an external mic to an iPod?

suggestions welcome!

The podcast will be about 'radio models' (like r/c boats, cars, planes, etc)

Thanks, James

http://loosewire.typepad.com/blog/2004/03/belkins_new_ipo.html

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
or this...

http://www.welovemacs.com/ipmire.html

I don't think the recording quality is that great with these things, so you may wind up having to do a little work in GB (EQ and whatnot) to get the final product up to par.

what you might be better off doing is using a decent mic/tape recorder and then converting to digital after the fact. A little more work, but better than carrying around a laptop and probably better quality than what you'd get with an iPod attachment. My understanding is that the iPod stuff is intended for use in lecture halls/classrooms, etc...may not work so great outdoors.

hope this helps

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
you don't mention a budget, but following on beatsme's comment, you could do something similar to what a lot of radio reporters use: a handheld broadcast mic and a portable DAT machine.

NPR used the sony d10 for a number of years, maybe you could find one for cheap.

i believe reporters are now switching to non-moving-part recorders, but i don't know which models.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
CanadaRAM said:
yeah, that tascam unit looks nice. i wonder how it sounds.

if i'm reading the m-audio page right, it looks like it supplies phantom over 1/4". if so, there's a possibility of shorting out the mic. yikes.

Cybix

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
Western Australia
hrmm, after some more research, it seems there are no devices for ipod mini/nano that meet my requirements.

may need to go some sort of other device! I hope not analog! haha

Cybix

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
Western Australia
canadaRAM, some great products! just listened to the subway recording on m-audio's site, not bad!!

I'll have to see what i can afford I think, all these products are pretty expensive.

almason

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2006
Recording Live Audio

I have the M-Audio Microtrack recorder - works very well - can use as a handheld or use phantom powered mics to record

has a small stereo microphone that works very well for the situation you looking to record

about $400 US

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
Don't forget the humble minidisc...

Sony did a range of very small portable recording MD's that turn up on eBay occasionally.

Quality is good considering you'll be converting to MP3 for the 'cast and they have digital outputs to dump to your favorite DAW.

HHB do a lovely pro MD unit http://www.hhb.co.uk/hhb/uk/hhbproducts/portadisc/index.asp

Otherwise we have a pre-pro of the Tascam unit for appro and it's very, very good indeed.

You could always try this: http://www.hhb.co.uk/hhb/uk/hhbproducts/portadrive/index.asp

A snip at £6990!!:eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.