Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mdkcheatz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2013
the Milky Way galaxy
Okay, I know this kind of question has been meantioned before, but there were no valid answers. "No" or "Not possible" are examples of invalid responses because I know that's complete bull.

So I'm trying to record music that I play using WI Guitar. I do not have a PC so using an auxillary cord is not the solution I'm looking for. I need to be able to record directly on the iPhone device (specs in sig). I've noticed, however, that all my apps using audio will mute other apps using audio or recording through the mic. For example, if I make a video using Display Recorder, I hear sound input from the mic until I launch WI Guitar and suddenly there is no sound input from the mic anymore. This is not a limitation that isn't completely impossible to work around. I know this because I have one app that DOES defy this annoying rule and I made a youtube video of it in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdJeOt35gsk&feature=youtube_gdata

I can't figure out why that one single app doesn't restrict like all others. I tried editing the Display Recorder app info.plist with the array UIBackgroundModes and the string "0. audio" and this does nothing.

I've also used Backgrounder to force Display Recorder into the CPU and still no luck in getting the app to ignore other audio output while recording from the mic.

I appreciate any input on this issue, but I have to say that any suggestions on trying different guitar apps are a waste of time. I've tried them all. The only good one is WI Guitar and doesn't have an internal recording feature. Also, I aware of Audiobus, but that app lacks support in a big way. Most of the good apps havn't added Audiobus support yet.

Please help me with this issue, I know there's a work around somewhere because apparently iOS does support audio in the background. The apps just need to be cofigured to support this ability. That's what I can't figure out, how to mod the configuration to support what I need or to tweak iOS to force the mic or audio to remain active during a true multitasking state.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.