Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Temujin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 1, 2005
Copenhagen
Know any good (and free) software, capable of recording live from a miniDV camera?

It works fine as a webcam with iChat. So I guess it's possible to record as well.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
a few

Temujin said:
Know any good (and free) software, capable of recording live from a miniDV camera?

It works fine as a webcam with iChat. So I guess it's possible to record as well.

should work through imovie? or myvcr?

Texas04

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2005
Texas
Temujin said:

Take out the tape from your camera, switch to Camera mode, click Import in iMovie

localghost

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2002
some cameras can only stream dv via firewire to your mac when they record to tape at the same time, but for most it should work just like Texas04 said.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Texas04 said:
Take out the tape from your camera, switch to Camera mode, click Import in iMovie

Strange enough, with my camera you have to put a tape _into_ the camera. It refuses to work without a tape. Took me ages to figure it out.

Texas04

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2005
Texas
gnasher729 said:
Strange enough, with my camera you have to put a tape _into_ the camera. It refuses to work without a tape. Took me ages to figure it out.

As long as you can see picture with the tape out, it should work just fine... What does yours do?

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
Many cameras will auto-powerdown. It's a pain in the neck.

My miniDV cameras will auto-stream to firewire at anytime that they are turned on, whether reccording or not. But when not reccording, they will power down after about 10 mins.

I've tried to turn it off in the options but didn't work.

Putting a tape in didn't work either.

Only option was to be actually reccording to tape - which runs the battery down faster. (was firewire to laptop - laptop battery lasted longer than the camera's)

One suggestion was to put it on Demo mode, which works for many camera apparently but not mine, chiz curses...

..RedTomato..

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
RedTomato said:
Many cameras will auto-powerdown. It's a pain in the neck.

My miniDV cameras will auto-stream to firewire at anytime that they are turned on, whether reccording or not. But when not reccording, they will power down after about 10 mins.

I've tried to turn it off in the options but didn't work.

Putting a tape in didn't work either.

Only option was to be actually reccording to tape - which runs the battery down faster. (was firewire to laptop - laptop battery lasted longer than the camera's)

One suggestion was to put it on Demo mode, which works for many camera apparently but not mine, chiz curses...

..RedTomato..

Sorry to double post, but I really wanted to address this issue separately.

I have experienced this problem numerous times with my Canon miniDV camera, and have only recently found a really good solution.

In my menu, I have a option to turn on that I think is called "Demo" or "Demo mode" or something like that...

What it does it, it shows on the camera's LCD the camera specs and like it's good points and such. A person putting this on display or in a display window would use this.

However, if you have it connected to the computer with a firewire cable and put it on Demo mode, it doesn't send the things it's putting on the screen as inputs. Meaning, if I use it with iChat or QT/iMovie to record, those things don't show up, only a nice picture of whatever I'm recording does.

I've video chatted over iChat for more than 4 hours, and recorded for more than 12+ with my camera in this mode and it works great.

See if yours has something similar!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.