Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pyro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2003
Theres 4 of us (2 guitars, bass, drums) and we're going to try out this GarageBand thing on my computer.

Now we're going to probably be using http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?productLearnMore=T9104LL/A and http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?productLearnMore=T9106LL/A since the first one has a line in and only 2 guitar inputs.

Now my questions are: Will this line in idea for one of the guitars/bass whatever work? And by using this program will all of it be sent to GarageBand as one signal or will it be able to distinguish each signal so we can raise certain instruments and such later?

Thanks

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
your asking a lot from GB. it seems it can handle one stereo channel or 2 mono channels of input. you will need to use a click track (simple drums) or the metronome and record one instrument at a time. anything with more than one pre-amp input will be overkill; unless you plan on upgrading to Logic (or similar) later on.

FYI- drums are difficult to record well...good luck (usually takes 3, 5 or more mics).

peace.

pyro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2003
Yea thats what I was afraid of :-\ Thanks though.

And yea I know that about drums, thanks. It's gonna be a while till we get a drumset over here though since my Mom's sick of my brother and is making him move in with our dad (thus no drumset for our drummer to use).

Guess we'll just be recording from 1 mic onto a cassette again for a while.

thanks for the info

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
for now you could use GB as a sketchpad. the cool thing about it is you can rearrange your loops as you wish after you record them. break your songs down into simpler parts then copy and rearrange. it may be an excellent writing tool. sure, you'll need to re-record later, but at least you'll have a head start.

peace.

pyro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2003
Yea I guess... Thanks for the help. Guess we'll have to do the trippier **** with the 1 mic > cassette deck though. Or else 1 mic > my computer through GB or Spin Doctor.

I guess the raw sound could add some punk/stonerrock (I refuse to use the word Grunge) sorta sound to it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.