Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gerald.d

Cancelled
Original poster
Oct 20, 2007
Does anyone know whether it is possible to record spatial videos without actually having the Vision Pro on your head?

And if anyone has tried this, any suggestions as to how to support the thing? Perhaps adapting the tray in the box it came in is an option? šŸ§

Macaholic868

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2017
Does anyone know whether it is possible to record spatial videos without actually having the Vision Pro on your head?

And if anyone has tried this, any suggestions as to how to support the thing? Perhaps adapting the tray in the box it came in is an option? šŸ§

If you have either the iPhone 15 Pro or the iPhone 15 Pro Max you can record spatial video. Itā€™s better than regular video youā€™d shoot when payed back on the Vision Pro but not as good as the video you can take with the headset on in terms of how immersive it is. The videos of my cat Iā€™ve taken using the head set are crazy. Itā€™s like sheā€™s right there in front of me and I can reach out and pet her. That effect is less noticeable when I record spatial video from the phone but Iā€™m guessing the iPhone 16 and above will make the ability to record spatial videos even better an itā€™s been leaked that all models of the 16 and not jus the Pro line will have ability to record spatial video. Weā€™ll see. If itā€™s really improved I might just bite the bullet and upgrade from the 15 to the 16. Capturing that kind of video without needing the headset on is the kind of feature Iā€™d gladly pay the Apple tax to upgrade after having experienced the difference between videos recorded on the two separate devices.

gerald.d

Cancelled
Original poster
Oct 20, 2007
If you have either the iPhone 15 Pro or the iPhone 15 Pro Max you can record spatial video. Itā€™s better than regular video youā€™d shoot when payed back on the Vision Pro but not as good as the video you can take with the headset on in terms of how immersive it is. The videos of my cat Iā€™ve taken using the head set are crazy. Itā€™s like sheā€™s right there in front of me and I can reach out and pet her. That effect is less noticeable when I record spatial video from the phone but Iā€™m guessing the iPhone 16 and above will make the ability to record spatial videos even better an itā€™s been leaked that all models of the 16 and not jus the Pro line will have ability to record spatial video. Weā€™ll see. If itā€™s really improved I might just bite the bullet and upgrade from the 15 to the 16. Capturing that kind of video without needing the headset on is the kind of feature Iā€™d gladly pay the Apple tax to upgrade after having experienced the difference between videos recorded on the two separate devices.
Thanks for the reply.

Itā€™s pretty clear that there is a night and day difference between spatial videos shot on an iPhone 15 Pro and the Vision Pro, which is why Iā€™m particularly interested to learn if it is possible to shoot with the VP off the head.

The iPhone 16 wonā€™t improve on this - itā€™s all down to the separation of the two lenses.

Ultimately I will almost certainly buy the Canon dual fisheye lens (I already own the R5C), since this will be on a whole different level, quality wise. But that then involves a lot more effort on the workflow.

Hence the desire to be able to shoot ā€œquick and dirtyā€ with the Vision Pro, but with the headset mounted on something stationary, rather than on my head.

Reactions: G5isAlive

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
If you start recording video with the VP on your head, which I understand is the only way to start recording, then take it off while it's still recording, what happens?

Reactions: chown33

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
Thanks for the reply.

Itā€™s pretty clear that there is a night and day difference between spatial videos shot on an iPhone 15 Pro and the Vision Pro, which is why Iā€™m particularly interested to learn if it is possible to shoot with the VP off the head.

The iPhone 16 wonā€™t improve on this - itā€™s all down to the separation of the two lenses.

Ultimately I will almost certainly buy the Canon dual fisheye lens (I already own the R5C), since this will be on a whole different level, quality wise. But that then involves a lot more effort on the workflow.

Hence the desire to be able to shoot ā€œquick and dirtyā€ with the Vision Pro, but with the headset mounted on something stationary, rather than on my head.
Canon is rumored to be releasing a new lower cost 3D camera that sounds interesting. I also think we will see more of this from more companies in the near future.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
If you start recording video with the VP on your head, which I understand is the only way to start recording, then take it off while it's still recording, what happens?

It stops recording.

Itā€™s pretty clear that there is a night and day difference between spatial videos shot on an iPhone 15 Pro and the Vision Pro,

Yes, the VP is much worse. Tiny portrait video vs larger iPhone landscape video.

Macaholic868

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2017
It stops recording.

Yes, the VP is much worse. Tiny portrait video vs larger iPhone landscape video.

Yes but the tiny portrait is so immersive it feels like you can reach out and touch the objects youā€™re recording and the videos shot on the iPhone simply donā€™t have that effect. You also have the option of watching the recorded AVP videos stored on the device in immersive mode which makes them nearly full screen. Itā€™s not quite as good as the landscape view on the iPhone but if you really want to feel like youā€™re there with a person the headset is the way to go.

I think we can both agree the real solution is a better camera configuration so you can get the best of both worlds and Iā€™d definitely be interested in purchasing a separate camera if one that can do that comes to market. I havenā€™t owned my own separate camera for about a decade now but would drop the money to buy one if I could record something approaching what you get in the immersive video recorded on the AVP but in landscape mode like you get on the iPhone.

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
Yes but the tiny portrait is so immersive it feels like you can reach out and touch the objects youā€™re recording and the videos shot on the iPhone simply donā€™t have that effect. You also have the option of watching the recorded AVP videos stored on the device in immersive mode which makes them nearly full screen. Itā€™s not quite as good as the landscape view on the iPhone but if you really want to feel like youā€™re there with a person the headset is the way to go.

I think we can both agree the real solution is a better camera configuration so you can get the best of both worlds and Iā€™d definitely be interested in purchasing a separate camera if one that can do that comes to market. I havenā€™t owned my own separate camera for about a decade now but would drop the money to buy one if I could record something approaching what you get in the immersive video recorded on the AVP but in landscape mode like you get on the iPhone.

Good call, I hadn't even tried recording on the VP, have enjoyed the iPhone ones. But yeah, VP videos take immersion to next level. Wish I could replicate it another way.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
the tiny portrait is so immersive it feels like you can reach out and touch the objects

1. I find all of these portrait framed internet videos extremely annoying. Why throw away all of those pixels? Why waste all of that screen space? The limited view was not what I was seeing when I took the video and so it just doesn't seem real to me. I see things in landscape mode, not portrait mode. Isn't the eye field of vision wider than it is tall?

2. Because of my bias in (1) I find that my iPhone landscape 3D videos are much more immersive.

Guess its a personal taste thing.

Reactions: Macaholic868

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
1. I find all of these portrait framed internet videos extremely annoying. Why throw away all of those pixels? Why waste all of that screen space? The limited view was not what I was seeing when I took the video and so it just doesn't seem real to me. I see things in landscape mode, not portrait mode. Isn't the eye field of vision wider than it is tall?

2. Because of my bias in (1) I find that my iPhone landscape 3D videos are much more immersive.

Guess its a personal taste thing.
I agree with you on both counts. I don't like the portrait orientation videos that make up the majority of what's on the web these days. I suspect people don't think about turning their phone 90 degrees before shooting, partly because they mostly use the device vertically.

As for spatial video, I also prefer the ones captured with my iPhone 15 Pro, though the 3D effect isn't quite as good as with videos taken with my AVP. But filming with the AVP isn't practical in many situations, so ultimately I'm going to want the best of both worlds. The cost of the Canon R5 with the dual lens is more than I'd be willing to pay, though.

But I wonder if it would be possible to make a clip-on with two lenses that are further apart and optically channel what they "see" to the iPhone's built-in lenses.

Korican100

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2012
As for spatial video, I also prefer the ones captured with my iPhone 15 Pro, though the 3D effect isn't quite as good as with videos taken with my AVP. But filming with the AVP isn't practical in many situations, so ultimately I'm going to want the best of both worlds. The cost of the Canon R5 with the dual lens is more than I'd be willing to pay, though.

But I wonder if it would be possible to make a clip-on with two lenses that are further apart and optically channel what they "see" to the iPhone's built-in lenses.

Thats a huge thing with dual gopros for VR180

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
You can also buy a Canon R5 with the Canon RF 5,2 lens. And convert that to super crisp Spatial Video.

Well, this is what I come to MR for, knowledge. Maybe some rumors. Not the stupid haters lol.

I too am curious about a way of capturing good spatial video. I know the limitations of lenses too close together (the iPhone), not always keen to wear the AVP in public, so was hoping for a better solution. But yikes, $5k (the cannon system) and its still takes work? lol. Will have to wait longer I guess :)

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
Well, this is what I come to MR for, knowledge. Maybe some rumors. Not the stupid haters lol.

I too am curious about a way of capturing good spatial video. I know the limitations of lenses too close together (the iPhone), not always keen to wear the AVP in public, so was hoping for a better solution. But yikes, $5k (the cannon system) and its still takes work? lol. Will have to wait longer I guess :)
Iā€™ve only taken a few samples, but I almost like the Spatial Videos from iPhone better than from VP. The VP does seem to have greater depth, but maybe too much to where itā€™s not as natural. Meh, just a thought. Iā€™m having fun experimenting though. šŸ¤“

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
Iā€™ve only taken a few samples, but I almost like the Spatial Videos from iPhone better than from VP. The VP does seem to have greater depth, but maybe too much to where itā€™s not as natural. Meh, just a thought. Iā€™m having fun experimenting though. šŸ¤“

yeah the VP is like those old time stereographs or whatever they were called. I would like to see something between the two lol

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
yeah the VP is like those old time stereographs or whatever they were called. I would like to see something between the two lol
Yeah exactly! Iā€™m wondering if the next iPhone will do something to improve the recordings. Or maybe even in the software. Not that itā€™s bad now!

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
Thats a huge thing with dual gopros for VR180
I don't think it would take more than a few prisms to redirect light from two relatively widely separated apertures to the lenses on the iPhone. That'd be a lot less expensive than other solutions.

RufusRyker

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2006

In my opinion, the AVP takes much better spatial videos than the iPhone. Itā€™s not even close. Are you viewing the video in immersive mode?

The spatial video taken on the iPhone is heavily cropped. The pixels are 1920 x 1080.

The AVP video is not portrait. It is square and the pixels are apparently 2200 x 2200. At least thatā€™s what I read somewhere.

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
In my opinion, the AVP takes much better spatial videos than the iPhone. Itā€™s not even close. Are you viewing the video in immersive mode?

The spatial video taken on the iPhone is heavily cropped. The pixels are 1920 x 1080.

The AVP video is not portrait. It is square and the pixels are apparently 2200 x 2200. At least thatā€™s what I read somewhere.
I agree, the depth and quality much better. Though for me, not something I will do much. Still like the 15 Pro videos as well.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
My guess is this will never come - mainly because of the ergonomics. First you would need a way to trigger recording - which they could add a long press of the camera button. But then you can't see what you are recording - which they could fix by allowing an iPhone to be a monitor. You also don't know that you started recording or are actively recording - which they could fix with audio, or maybe showing something on the front display (Which you wouldn't really be able to see.) Then you get to holding the device - which you would have to hold steady as there is no stabilization, and holding the device is precarious in the first place since you have to hold it by the frame or the arms.

I think for the time being, the iPhone is going to be the device for spatial video recording - I can seem them improving this in future versions, but probably not until we get a more mainstream priced headset.

Reactions: fatTribble

Donstil-nl

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2008
Netherlands

Haha yeah it is steep, I have the camera already but not buying the lens.

The iPhone ones are good enough for me. They are just snippets with a little depth, just a little bit more special then normal videos but not worth the investment of dedicated VR lens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.