Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mafivog247

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2024
Hi everyone,
- STOLEN MAC : MacBook Pro 16″ 2019: macOS 14.1.2
- NEW MAC : MacBook Pro 13″ 2019: macOS 14.4

I have 2 different hard disks with backups made with Time Machine of the stolen mac.
I'm trying to recover it completely on the new mac

Initially I tried with "Recovery Assistant". But after I selected the hard disk with the Time Machine backup, it told me to install a fresh version of Mac OS, and then to use "Migration Assistant".

So I installed on the new mac the latest Sonoma version (macOS 14.4) I went to this migration assistant, and he told me "Volume contains a macOS or OS X installation which may be damaged."

I tried with the other backup hard disk, and same message!
I tried the "SOS utility" to check the backup hard disks and it didn't find any problem.

I've found some threads on this forum with similar problems, and it seems Apple changed something about the filesystems that caused this ****.

Is there any way I can exactly replicate the Time Machine backup on the new Mac ?
I am of course willing to reformat the new Mac hard disk with different filesystems if it can help.. but I've not found any way to achieve the total recovery :(

Thank you

PS: fortunately i can (with Finder) browse the time machine backup and recover the single files/directory but it doesn't sound like the fastest and easiest way (after my Mac was stolen and i was relying on the Time Machine backups and the 'recovery' feature of Mac OS...)

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
Is there any way I can exactly replicate the Time Machine backup on the new Mac ?
Setting expectations here.. you won't be able to "exactly replicate" the backup on the new Mac. Only your user data is migrated. What version of macOS was running on your 2019 MBP?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Folks, unless there's an easy fix for this user, here's yet one more example of someone who trusted time machine, and then... in a moment of need... it failed to do what was needed.

OP:
I can't help with time machine because I've never used it, ever.

But I CAN give you advice for the future:
If you want a backup that WON'T fail as tm has done, use either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper.

Either one will produce a cloned backup that can be mounted anywhere, in "plain old finder format".

Use it with setup assistant, or migration assistant, or just mount it on the desktop and copy whatever you need.

But trust tm?
Where are you now?

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
Folks, unless there's an easy fix for this user, here's yet one more example of someone who trusted time machine, and then... in a moment of need... it failed to do what was needed.
I've been using Time Machine for decade or more personally, have supported my extended family w/ their Macs and Time Machine backups, and have never had issues backing up, migrating to new Macs, or recovering files. To each his own, and your preference is your preference. But since you admit you have never used Time Machine, let's not fear monger.

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
Hi everyone,
- STOLEN MAC : MacBook Pro 16″ 2019: macOS 14.1.2
- NEW MAC : MacBook Pro 13″ 2019: macOS 14.4

I have 2 different hard disks with backups made with Time Machine of the stolen mac.
I'm trying to recover it completely on the new mac

Initially I tried with "Recovery Assistant". But after I selected the hard disk with the Time Machine backup, it told me to install a fresh version of Mac OS, and then to use "Migration Assistant".

So I installed on the new mac the latest Sonoma version (macOS 14.4) I went to this migration assistant, and he told me "Volume contains a macOS or OS X installation which may be damaged."

I tried with the other backup hard disk, and same message!
I tried the "SOS utility" to check the backup hard disks and it didn't find any problem.

I've found some threads on this forum with similar problems, and it seems Apple changed something about the filesystems that caused this ****.

I am of course willing to reformat the new Mac hard disk with different filesystems if it can help.. but I've not found any way to achieve the total recovery :(

Thank you

PS: fortunately i can (with Finder) browse the time machine backup and recover the single files/directory but it doesn't sound like the fastest and easiest way (after my Mac was stolen and i was relying on the Time Machine backups and the 'recovery' feature of Mac OS...)

What you did sounds right but starting from where you are I would Erase all content and Settings on your new mac, with the TM drive connected. When Setup Assistant starts go through the first steps and then chose migrate from TM backup. Setup Assistant is basically same as Migration Assistant but runs straight after new install and avoids creating a new user.

I have a lot of good experience with TM restores to new Macs. I use CCC as well but TM backup is my go to.

Reactions: lfaa and Bigwaff
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.