Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thisIsTheFoxe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2019
Germany
Hi there.
So, I had an encrypted image on an external drive. For security reasons I wanted all .Trashes and caches n such gone so I just shorthand decided to delete everything besides my actual .dmg image.

Turns out you kinda need some of the stuff for indexing ur device ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I mean I only deleted the Indexing.. so even though my device is shown as ‘empty’ my files should still be on there.. I just don’t know where right?

Is there a way to recover / ‘rediscover’ my files / image?

thisIsTheFoxe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2019
Germany
Soooo.. I had no luck so far.. I only figured out that I CAN find the image with DiskDrill, which is nice.. but it costs like 100$ for a license to recover.

The only thing I put my hope in so far is “PhotoRec” and it’s free and open-source and looks quite promising... it’s really nice and jic you are trying to recover some “lost”/deleted files definitely give it a try!

Again that’s: PhotoRec (recovers not just photos) yw ^^

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Hi there.
So, I had an encrypted image on an external drive. For security reasons I wanted all .Trashes and caches n such gone so I just shorthand decided to delete everything besides my actual .dmg image.

Turns out you kinda need some of the stuff for indexing ur device ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I mean I only deleted the Indexing.. so even though my device is shown as ‘empty’ my files should still be on there.. I just don’t know where right?

Is there a way to recover / ‘rediscover’ my files / image?
Open up System Preferences, and go into the Spotlight settings. Click on the Privacy tab and drag your external disk into the window under the "Prevent Spotlight from searching these locations" section. Then, highlight the disk in that window and click the minus at the bottom. This will force Spotlight to rebuild the index for that disk.

Reactions: thisIsTheFoxe
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.