Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chaki90

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2019
I have a Mid 2014 Macbook Pro. A few days ago, I opened my laptop and it won't turn on. It does nothing for about a minute and then a folder with the question mark in it shows up. I tried a restart for a few times getting the same result. Then I followed the insctructions to start the disk utility and saw the my HDD isn't visible.

After that I took my HDD to the local data recovery company and after testing they told me that the firmware is corrupted and that because the harddrives from 2013-2015 use this proprietary "blade" interface that is a variation of M2 ngff, and that they need a special adapter to repair the firmware which doesn't exist at the moment, it exists only for SATA, and that there is nothing they can do.

However, because the data on the HDD are very important to me (I shuold have done weekly backups but now is too late), I started researching, but I couldn't quite find the stuff they were talking about. I would like to know more about the problem to see if that's really the case, and what should I look for.

Also, I found this link interesting. Where they use a kind of a hack to repair the firmware without wiping out the HDD. However, I see that this is a solution for the Samsung 850 disk which is SATA, so I don't know if this could be applied to my HDD.

Any help would be appritiated.

ruslan120

macrumors 65816
Jul 12, 2009
If you find a repair shop that specializes in fine soldering (Macbook RAM Upgrades, (soldered) SSD Upgrades) you could maybe buy an identical, working SSD, have them desolder your data chips, desolder the working drive's data chips, and replace them with yours (and see if that works).

Already sounds risky to me even to suggest it, sorry to hear you're in this situation.

Reactions: Mr_Brightside_@
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.