Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CLS7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2016
Malmoe, Sweden
MacOS Catalina seems to create a "Recovered files" folder in the trash each time I reboot my iMac. This never happens when running MacOS Mojave, so I think it's a bug in Catalina?

I really hope this never happpens in Big Sur when the final version will be released. There is so many bugs in Catalina!

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
I started a thread on this topic a few months back.

CLS7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2016
Malmoe, Sweden
This is not new on Catalina, here's a thread about it from 2010. :)

The answer given there is the same as the current Catalina support FAQ

Based on this, it seems that the "bug" (if any) comes from an app that you are using.

I've only seen this in Catalina, never in Mojave. Is there any way to automatically delete these folders in trash? I hope Apple has fixed this bug in Big Sur.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
I've only seen this in Catalina, never in Mojave. Is there any way to automatically delete these folders in trash? I hope Apple has fixed this bug in Big Sur.

The trash will need to be manually emptied. At this point, I have my doubts that Apple will fix this in Catalina.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I have seen that for many years. Maybe it went away in Mojave, but it's not new. And I don't see any harm either. If those files weren't moved to the trash, they would still exist in a hidden folder that the application uses for its data. At least you *can* delete them from the trash. Otherwise, you wouldn't even know that an app wasn't cleaning up after itself.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Recovered items have existed on Macs for several decades- it predates OS X. It’s pretty clear Apple doesn’t consider this a bug.

Reactions: Boyd01

MiataJay

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2023
I have the same issue here. An empty Recovered Files folder is generated and stays in the Trash on every boot which is very annoying. Does anyone know how to identify which app is the source of this problem by investigating logs or something else?

Currently, the only workaround for solving this issue is to run the following script at startup with Automator.
AppleScript:
on run {input, parameters}

tell application "Finder"
        empty the trash
    end tell

return input
end run

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.