Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Freemanator3030

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2016
Hi all,

I used to have a mid 2011 imac. I bought it as I was heavily into photography/videography at the time. Since then, I've reverted back to a windows PC and not really dabbled into photography/videography until recently when I started my Youtube channel. I've not really found any video editing software I particularly like and it struck me that years ago, probably in about 2012 I bought FCP on my iMac.

What I'm wondering is, I wonder if my old AppleID is still out there and whether I can re-download FCP if I bought another mac.
Understandably FCP has moved on in the last decade. What I wonder is, if I bought another mac and could access my old AppleID, would I still be able to download FCP from 10 years ago, or would I have to re-buy it?

Dockland

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2021
Sweden
Hi all,

I used to have a mid 2011 imac. I bought it as I was heavily into photography/videography at the time. Since then, I've reverted back to a windows PC and not really dabbled into photography/videography until recently when I started my Youtube channel. I've not really found any video editing software I particularly like and it struck me that years ago, probably in about 2012 I bought FCP on my iMac.

What I'm wondering is, I wonder if my old AppleID is still out there and whether I can re-download FCP if I bought another mac.
Understandably FCP has moved on in the last decade. What I wonder is, if I bought another mac and could access my old AppleID, would I still be able to download FCP from 10 years ago, or would I have to re-buy it?

If you bought it I can't see any issues. Just login with your apple id and go for it.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
It should still be available to your account with that Apple ID. I know software I got way back when still shows up.

Although the issue will be if that old version still runs on a new Mac. I'm not big on FCP. So, don't know which versions stop working with which OS versions. If it's FCP X. Then you'll just get whatever the latest version is.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I bought it back then and am still using with no problems. In that time I have installed it on a 2011 MacBook Air, two 2012 Mini's, a 2013 MacBook Air and a 2018 Mini. Only difference is, I have used it continuously since purchase. My Apple ID has changed at least once (Verizon discontinued their e-mail addresses).

This would certainly be for FCPX, legacy Final Cut Pro (which ended with FCP 7) was never part of the app store. It was a very expensive standalone product you could buy separately or as part of a bundle. I have FCP 6 and decided not to upgrade to FCP 7 when it came out because the changes were pretty minor and the upgrade was expensive.

Logic Pro X had at least one paid update from the app store, but AFAIK, FCP X upgrades have all been free.

Last edited:

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Hi all,

It should not be an issue, so long as you can still log into an AppleID (Mac App Store) account where your purchased the software. Apple continues to make past purchase available, even the newer versions, in most cases. It won't cost you a dime to find out.

Reactions: Dockland

Freemanator3030

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2016
That's great, thank you. I think I'll head to my local apple store and see if they can help me gain access to my account and see before I buy a new MacBook. I don't currently have a single apple product to try and sign in to.

On a slightly different note, I'm currently paying for spotify but not really using it a great deal. Can you still have itunes and sync it with an iPhone or do you need to pay for apple music? The Apple Ecosystem seems to have changed somewhat since I last had an Apple product!

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Apple got rid of iTunes with the release of MacOS Catalina but has replaced it with new Music and TV apps that are pretty similar, although there are bugs and other issues that have frustrated many people. Syncing/copying media to an iPhone is now done directly through the Finder and that appears to work well. You can still share media from your Mac with other devices on your home network but that function has been moved to the Sharing System Preferences.

No, you don't have to purchase Apple Music. You should still be able to use your iPhone and Mac pretty much the same as before, although I manage mine manually instead of syncing them so there could be some issues I don't know about.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.