Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacMusic01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2020
Hi,

I recently installed macOS Mojave on my mid 2010 Macbook using the patcher from dosdue1 which was worked perfectly until i found out when trying to enter recovery mode, the screen came up with the blocked symbol not letting me enter recovery mode which is a big risk for the future if anything should happen.

I have looked all over YouTube and forums as well as Known Issues on dosdude1 website which hasn't come up.

Please help as i cant find anyway to fix this and would hate having to erase my hard drive as the only way it seems to access recovery mode is by using a bootable drive which dosent allow me to do anything on my main hard drive.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"the only way it seems to access recovery mode is by using a bootable drive which dosent allow me to do anything on my main hard drive."

When you boot from an external drive, you can do almost ANYTHING to the internal drive. More than you can do from the recovery partition. You just want to "boot to the finder" on the external drive (hold down option key at boot, wait for startup manager, select external with pointer and hit return). Now you can use any app to "work on" the internal drive (recovery partition gives you a VERY limited "suite of apps" to use).

Be aware that things like this can happen when you install unsupported 3rd-party "patches" that can produce unexpected results in certain situations. That's a "part of the game" of pushing the envelope outwards.

I'm not saying "don't do it".
But there remain... "limitations".

I'm wondering... if you can't boot to the recovery partition... can you get to INTERNET recovery?
It works on some 2010 MacBooks, but not on others, I believe, so at least try it.

You need "command-OPTION-R" at boot.
You'll need your wifi password.
If it connects, you'll see the "spinning globe", and it will take a while to load up.

Reactions: Jack Neill

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
"the only way it seems to access recovery mode is by using a bootable drive which dosent allow me to do anything on my main hard drive."

When you boot from an external drive, you can do almost ANYTHING to the internal drive. More than you can do from the recovery partition. You just want to "boot to the finder" on the external drive (hold down option key at boot, wait for startup manager, select external with pointer and hit return). Now you can use any app to "work on" the internal drive (recovery partition gives you a VERY limited "suite of apps" to use).

Be aware that things like this can happen when you install unsupported 3rd-party "patches" that can produce unexpected results in certain situations. That's a "part of the game" of pushing the envelope outwards.

I'm wondering... if you can't boot to the recovery partition... can you get to INTERNET recovery?
It works on some 2010 MacBooks, but not on others, I believe, so at least try it.

If it connects, you'll see the "spinning globe", and it will take a while to load up.

Recovery environment is the "mini OS" that requires its own patching. Mojave patcher never provided this ability and never claimed that it can do that.

Reactions: K two

K two

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2018
North America

Hi,

I recently installed macOS Mojave on my mid 2010 Macbook using the patcher from dosdue1 which was worked perfectly until i found out when trying to enter recovery mode, the screen came up with the blocked symbol not letting me enter recovery mode which is a big risk for the future if anything should happen.

I have looked all over YouTube and forums as well as Known Issues on dosdude1 website which hasn't come up.

Please help as i cant find anyway to fix this and would hate having to erase my hard drive as the only way it seems to access recovery mode is by using a bootable drive which dosent allow me to do anything on my main hard drive.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Booting from the USB Patcher serves as the Recovery Disk. Everything is there - Terminal, Disk Utility, Install macOS, D/L the latest release, Select Boot Disk, Restart, others.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.