Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Failurbydesign

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 17, 2011
CA
My recovery partition somehow got corrupted and I tried fixing it with CCC, but no luck, is there a way besides having to back and fresh Install to fix this?

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Do you maintain a "full-clone" backup created with either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper?

Have you test-booted your backup to be sure that it _is_ bootable?

If you have a working, bootable backup, then you really don't need the recovery partition.

A bootable cloned backup is actually _more useful_ than the recovery partition is, because it gives you an immediate "full boot", and immediate access to all your files.

My guess is that if you want the recovery partition back, you're going to have to re-initialize the internal drive and do a clean re-installation of the OS, which will re-create the partition and place the appropriate files on it.

Then re-install from your backup volume.

There may be an "alternative route around" having to do this, but not sure what it is -- perhaps others can help.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
My recovery partition somehow got corrupted and I tried fixing it with CCC, but no luck, is there a way besides having to back and fresh Install to fix this?

You don't need to do a "fresh" install... just do a regular reinstall of the OS and it will put the recovery partition back.

If you got ML from the App Store, just re DL from there and install. If it cam with your machine just do a command-option-r boot to Internet recovery (this will work even if you have no recovery partition) then reinstall.

Do no erase anything... just reinstall. Of course backup before this just to be safe.

Failurbydesign

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 17, 2011
CA
The last full CCC backup i made copied over the bad partition for recovery. So its just gone. I don't mind doing a clean install, just wanted to know if there were other options!

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
The last full CCC backup i made copied over the bad partition for recovery. So its just gone.

Yeah... I have noticed any changes to the recovery partition are noticed by CCC and cloned over automatically. The recent 10.8.5 update must have made changes to the recovery partition, because I saw CCC copy the recovery partition over again at my next clone update.

I don't mind doing a clean install, just wanted to know if there were other options!

Just to clarify, you don't need to do a "clean install", just reinstall the OS over top of your existing install without erasing anything and it will recreate the recovery partition.

Last edited:

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Just to clarify, you don't need to do a "clean install", just reinstall the OS over top of your existing install without erasing anything and it will recreate the recovery partition.

I'm posting for no reason other than to support Weaselboy. He's exactly right. You don't have to do a clean install. Just run the Mountain Lion installer right over your existing installation. It's quick and painless.

Failurbydesign

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 17, 2011
CA
I'm posting for no reason other than to support Weaselboy. He's exactly right. You don't have to do a clean install. Just run the Mountain Lion installer right over your existing installation. It's quick and painless.

Will do!

Do you think when Mavericks is released and i upgrade it will create it for me? Just a thought!

Thanks

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Do you think when Mavericks is released and i upgrade it will create it for me? Just a thought!

I'm certain that it will. So if you want to wait, you can. But we don't have a release date for Mavericks yet, and rumors put it six weeks away. There's really no reason to wait. It really is easy to do.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I'm certain that it will. So if you want to wait, you can. But we don't have a release date for Mavericks yet, and rumors put it six weeks away. There's really no reason to wait. It really is easy to do.

Agreed... from the forum members using the dev. versions this seems to be the case.

Failurbydesign

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 17, 2011
CA
I have it installing right now! I was just curious if each major release will include installing the recovery partition!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.