Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gradi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 20, 2022
In the last few days the forum Alerts bell icon at the top right no longer has a red number indicator that shows how many updates there have been to threads I have participated in. Is there some reason the people running this forum site have gotten rid of that very nice feature? If I click on the bell icon I can see the updates, but the red indicator that used to always be there is gone now.

I have not made any changes to my configuration. Is there something I need to do now to get it back?

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Hmm... we haven't changed anything and I have indicators on my bell icon.

So it seems like it's specific to your browser session.

1. Try logging into a different browser just to check that its working there
2. I assume it will be. In which case, clearing cache and logging out/in on forums on your main browser might be the best next step.

gradi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 20, 2022
Without doing anything I noticed a few minutes ago when I returned to the forum that the red number indicator returned using Safari on my Mac (which is what I normally use). It returned after being gone for a week or so. The red number indicator had disappeared while using Safari on my Mac and using Firefox on my PC. I have not yet booted up my PC to see if it is working again on it. Both Safari on the Mac and Firefox on the PC are the current versions.

I hope whatever changed sticks and it does not disappear again. :)

Reactions: arn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.