Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacosaurusNEXT

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2020
Space Station (temp)
Hmm, after all those trusty years my 2013 MP is finally toast, i think :(

Did all the normal bells and whistles, e.g. SMC, PVRAM, Changing RAM, Recovery-Console, Self-Diagnosis (see below), any idea what is happening here?

IMG_3227.jpg

Ummm, i guess...NO issues, come on :)

It is in a constant boot loop, showing Apple Logo, some seconds progress bar and booting again...showing these red lines, Logic Board ? Should the diagnosis function find at least a broken logic board ? When i tried to bring up the recovery console it just hang forever, showing the progress bar with no progress...:oops:

• Sad
Reactions: MisterAndrew

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
You might want to take a look at the troubleshooting section of the technician guide posted on this forum (in a thread with ‘LED diagnostics’ in the title.) Unfortunately the 6,1 doesn’t lend itself to DIY repairs. I think the best option is to schedule an appointment at the Genius Bar at the Apple store.

• Sad
Reactions: MacosaurusNEXT

MacosaurusNEXT

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2020
Space Station (temp)
Thanks for pointing to that guide, was a bit tricky to find the right post, did all the checks, all LED green, so as diagnostics showed no obvious hardware failure

KD7IWP

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2004
American living in Canada
Well, my 2013 Mac Pro just started showing the exact same lines as yours. I find it interesting that the red only shows where there is black. The white Apple logo and boot progress bar are not red. My boot progress bar gets roughly half way and freezes there. Tried removing RAM sticks one at a time and tried booting from an external drive but no luck. I'm assuming GPU, and also assuming that I can't just switch where the two GPUs are as they surely have different part numbers though they are both D500s.

liudayu

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2014
Well, my 2013 Mac Pro just started showing the exact same lines as yours. I find it interesting that the red only shows where there is black. The white Apple logo and boot progress bar are not red. My boot progress bar gets roughly half way and freezes there. Tried removing RAM sticks one at a time and tried booting from an external drive but no luck. I'm assuming GPU, and also assuming that I can't just switch where the two GPUs are as they surely have different part numbers though they are both D500s.
Those two D500 are symmetrical and are not identical, one of the GPU has SSD slot on it as well, so yes, you cannot swap them around

Borowski

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2018
Mac Pro 6.1 is scrap from factory.

The GPUs are known for increased fault rate, spare-parts are very expensive and can exceed the value of MP.
I guess one or more memory-BGAs failed, you can try to give it to repair; this could be the cheapest way to repair the machine, but will fail again sooner or later.

Seiko4169

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2012
England
"Hmm, after all those trusty years my 2013 MP is finally toast, I think" - it seems the 6.1 gets a bad wrap for failure rates and yet I know lots that have lasted many years fault free.

How long did your Mac 6.1 last btw?

SpotOnT

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2016

Exact same thing happened to my 2011 MacBook Pro with the infamous Radeon 6750M. Vertical red lines replaced black. Problems booting.

Ruggy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2017
I think it's likely the ribbon cable if it shows no hardware problems.
Hook it up to a TV via HDMI and if you have a good image then it's after the graphics card so probably ribbon cable. Otherwise it'll be the graphics card.

KD7IWP

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2004
American living in Canada
First I took the machine apart only to discover I didn't have a T8 security bit so couldn't remove the GPUs, but did remove the large ribbon cables and blow everything off with my air compressor. No change, still has vertical lines and won't boot (stuck at about 40% on the progress bar and same with Internet Recovery).

Then I borrowed screwdrivers from work and I removed the GPU card B (with SSD) and pulled out the ol' heat gun and made the main die nice and toasty. Some new thermal paste and it's working again, for now. Hopefully it lasts me until an M2 Mac Mini comes out.

For reference, I have an 8 core, 64GB RAM and D500's.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.