Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacParis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2003
Paris, France
I use an iBook with Airport and since the latest software update the range has been reduced so much that it's almost become useless. I mean there's no point in using Wifi if you have to sit next to the base station!

I downloaded the previous version of the airport software (3.0.4) but it wouldn't install atop of a newer version.

Is there a batch out there or some other solution? Am I the only to experience this?

Daveman Deluxe

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Corvallis, Oregon
All AirPort software version 3.0 and higher is intended for the AirPort Extreme base station and for 802.11g. I would try to find the earlier versions since they were meant for the 802.11b incarnation of AirPort.

MacParis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2003
Paris, France
Yeah, but it worked perfectly fine up to 3.0.4!

And IMHO, if it was certain it would do harm, then it shouldn't have come up in the software update on my iBook.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
airport 3.1 for for anyone with any base station, but you had to have 10.2.6. 3.0.4 was for people with 10.1.5. what OS version do you have.

iJon

Daveman Deluxe

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Corvallis, Oregon
Originally posted by MacParis
Yeah, but it worked perfectly fine up to 3.0.4!

And IMHO, if it was certain it would do harm, then it shouldn't have come up in the software update on my iBook.

Possibly, but then again, I recieved AirPort updates and iPod updates even though I owned neither (although now I have both). Now I recieve AirPort Extreme updates... I wish Software Update were more intelligent about what I actually have on my system.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by Daveman Deluxe
Possibly, but then again, I recieved AirPort updates and iPod updates even though I owned neither (although now I have both). Now I recieve AirPort Extreme updates... I wish Software Update were more intelligent about what I actually have on my system.
its somewhat intelligent. click on updates you dont need, then tell software update to make them inactive. now it wont bring them up anymore.

iJon

Daveman Deluxe

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Corvallis, Oregon
Yeah, that's what I did. It just seems strange to me that Software Update would offer me iPod updates even though I had never plugged one into the iBook before, or even that it would offer updates to foreign language subsystems even though I never installed them.

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
Originally posted by Daveman Deluxe
Yeah, that's what I did. It just seems strange to me that Software Update would offer me iPod updates even though I had never plugged one into the iBook before, or even that it would offer updates to foreign language subsystems even though I never installed them.

did you install the Os yourself or is it the factory install... either way if you did not specifically unistall the language packs (there are utils on versiontracker to do this) or did not uncheck them when installing there are probably quite a few languages installed...I never get language updates on mine because i only have spanish and english installed

Daveman Deluxe

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Corvallis, Oregon
I installed it myself and specifically told the installer not to install the language packs. I suppose it could be a holdover from when I had 10.1, which WAS a factory install (pre-installed on my iBook).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.